Non A/C conversion question | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Non A/C conversion question

timtimtimajim

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
So i'm getting ready to remove my factory A/C in my 93 Ex. It doesn't work and I never need it, so I figured I would get rid of it.

My main question is about the vacuum line that goes into the canister/cylinder thing on top of the current A/C box. How should I go about capping this vacuum line off when I put the non A/C box in?

Is there anything else I need to watch out for when removing the old A/C parts? Anything special that needs to be done?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

arco777

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer 2dr 4x4
If you're talking about the line that runs to the thing that looks like a submarine/torpedo, that's a vacuum reservoir. It's likely hooked up with a check valve and a tee that simply goes off engine vacuum; the tee may go to the blend door (I forget). Either way, on a non-AC application a vacuum reservoir is still useful.

If you need any pictures or reference from a factory non-AC model let me know. Mine never had A/C.

timtimtimajim

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
Yes that is what I was talking about! Thanks for telling me! Yes it does go to a check valve and tee. And I think it might go to the blend door. So I guess I'll just keep it and bolt it to the firewall somehow.

An Explorer with non A/C from the factory!?:eek: That's the first time I've heard about one! If it's no big problem, reference pics would be absolutely fantastic!

arco777

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer 2dr 4x4
An Explorer with non A/C from the factory!?:eek: That's the first time I've heard about one! If it's no big problem, reference pics would be absolutely fantastic!

Yup, very low option 94 I have. Power nothing. Not having AC makes it very easy to work under the hood, lots of room.

Pics attached; I'm in the middle of a battery cable replacement so several parts are out of the way.

Attachments

• WP_20151106_003.jpg
    WP_20151106_003.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 163
  • WP_20151106_004.jpg
    WP_20151106_004.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 148
  • WP_20151106_005.jpg
    WP_20151106_005.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 163
  • WP_20151106_002.jpg
    WP_20151106_002.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 141

arco777

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer 2dr 4x4
Sorry for the inverted pics, my phone and the forum uploader must not get along.

timtimtimajim

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
Sorry for the inverted pics, my phone and the forum uploader must not get along.

No worries! Thanks for the pics:salute: Makes the project easier now that I have something to reference!

arco777

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer 2dr 4x4

1992explorerMi

Reaction score
City, State
Livingston County Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer Sport
Just a idea for ya. I took out my ac and in place of the ac i made a bracket to mount a second alternator and put it to a second batt. For sounds and lights and now if my main alt. Fails i can move two wires and run everything off my secondary. The bracket for the ac bypass isnt much less than a alternator.

timtimtimajim

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
Just a idea for ya. I took out my ac and in place of the ac i made a bracket to mount a second alternator and put it to a second batt. For sounds and lights and now if my main alt. Fails i can move two wires and run everything off my secondary. The bracket for the ac bypass isnt much less than a alternator.

What amp alternator are you running for primary and secondary? I know at some point I'm going to upgrade to a 130 amp alternator, but I like the idea of running a secondary. I'll have to look into doing that. If you don't mind could I see some pics of your setup?

arco777

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer 2dr 4x4
A second alt, that's a good idea! Maybe could be set up for a trail welding rig too. Also have heard of people using the AC bracket to mount a York compressor for onboard air compressor.

I have a 130A alt and love it. Put one on my Bronco too, as they are interchangeable (despite what the parts store computer says).

1992explorerMi

Reaction score
City, State
Livingston County Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer Sport
I will get some pics tom. And im running dual 130. They are in no way connected to each other. Two seperate systems. I run my sounds lights and i put two cig ports in the rear for them and one dc/ac convertor in the rear. So if im in the middle of no where listening to musicor using a electric hot plate and it kills my batt truck starts off the original system and im not screwed. And its nice for bonfires.