• Register Today It's free!

Non Explorer Question

96 EddieB

Reaction score
City, State
Annandale, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer Eddie Bauer
A friend of mine has a 97 Mazda 626. She just had her oil changed by Jiffy Lube a week ago and this week she was driving and the car shut off while driving and rolled to a stop. Durring the process of shutting down the oil light came on. When she tried turning the key, it just clicked and did not turn over.
She took the car to the shop and they stated that it was a bad starter and charged $350.
My question is, would the car shut off if the starter went bad? In my experience it does not, just won't start. And would you think that is too expensive to change the starter? Its a 15- 20 min job i thought and easy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The car does not need a starter to run. And some starters are very hard to get too, and the starter might be high priced to beginning with. But don't know if it should cost that such, or why they even put a starter in. Does the car drive ok now, or will it not start still. If the car is fine now then maybe it was the starter. Just tell her to go to another shop, or if you can find the starter, and check and see if there is a new starter. Alot of shops like to charge women fir things they didn't do. Just check it out.

I just showed her your reply and she is a little sceptical now. Her car was just taken to the shop today and all they have done so far is order the part. I told her to be carefull and maybe tell them to stop working on it for now until we get better information on what really is going on.

Any additional information would help, thank you in advance.

Starter shouldnt make it stall like that on its own. It could be the reason it didnt restart but I dont see why it would make it stall. To answer your other question, $350 isnt outrageous, a lot of them are hard to get to.

Starter wouldn't cause it to quit running, 'cause I traded starters one time from a buddies J**p to another friend's J**p to get his running when his starter pooped out on him. What you might want to do is call around and price starters for her car and try calling the dealer as well. They can usually quote you a labor estimate. Good luck!

Did she check the oil after the car shut off? You stated that the oil light came on as she stalled. Like everyone else says, it should not be the starter. When you say click, does the car click once or it continues to click as long as you turn the key? There might be a battery/alternator problem there. Just another idea.

this may seem a littl bit off, actually it may seem way off but it is possible. MAYBE, they didnt fill it with enough/or any oil, the car ceased and the stared konked trying to start the ceased motor. i know it seems outrageous but hey, you never know. i wish you luck.

Short in the starter will kill the motor. I had an old 77' ch*vy pick-up that I put a set of headers on, I had rebuilt the motor a couple of times and the starter bolts would tend to back them selfs out now and then..The metal heat sheild around the starter wires wore a hole in the insulation of one of the starter wires..Driving home from work one day, it completely died..Nothing...Opened the hood and went to check my battery cables and the positive post was gone, melted, no longer there..Never seen this before or since..Might have just been a Ch*vy thing..hehe

mdrut is correct. A shorted starter can/will kill an engine. If you consider that 90% of the cars on the road have a starter mounted solenoid with the positive cable from the battery attached directly to the starter, it should be easy to how a shorted starter(solenoid) will kill a running car. Also the reason the oil light came on is because the car was stalling. The light had nothing to do with what killed the engine. As for the price, Ii have seen starters (even rebuilts) for foregin cars that sell upwards of $300.

oil light will come on when ignition is switched on but oil pressure is low ... like when the car ain't running ... i think this have nothing to do with the oil change.

get into any car and turn the key to on (not start, but on) the oil light will appear ... stalling will do the same thing b/c without the oil pump and bearings moving the oil there is no pressure.

just my $0.02

I know its not an oil problem, she said that when she checked her oil there was oil in there (I probably should have said that earier). Also if the engine siezed, wouldn't the wheels lock up if she was in gear? Any way, I havent seen her all weekend so not sure what she has done. But I gave her my .02 and some of all of yours and I can just hope she doesn't get screwed. I'll talk to her tomorrow at work and get an update.

Talked to her yesturday and she informed me that when she spoke to the shop they said (just like I thought they would)"We installed the starter and the car still didnt start." No Sh@#! They found that the engine was dead and she needed a new engine. They checked the oil and the levals were all OK. So they say that Jiffy lube is at no fault and she would have to foot the bill.
I asked her if they checked the oil filter to see if that had been changed but she did not. My feeling is that they didnt and the filter was so clogged that it wasn't delivering enough oil to the engine. Oh well, I guess its to late cuase they had already started replacing the engine.
Just thought I'd post the update.

Originally posted by 96 EddieB
Talked to her yesturday and she informed me that when she spoke to the shop they said (just like I thought they would)"We installed the starter and the car still didnt start." No Sh@#! They found that the engine was dead and she needed a new engine. They checked the oil and the levals were all OK. So they say that Jiffy lube is at no fault and she would have to foot the bill.
I asked her if they checked the oil filter to see if that had been changed but she did not. My feeling is that they didnt and the filter was so clogged that it wasn't delivering enough oil to the engine. Oh well, I guess its to late cuase they had already started replacing the engine.
Just thought I'd post the update.

I doubt that would cause the problem... the oil filter doesn't get THAT clogged, and I could see maybe if they didn't replace the oil filter after 3 or 4 oil changes, MAYBE... I still remember the story of the guy with the aerostar (still not sure if this is true or whatever, but still...) who was told it wouldn't need a tuneup for 100,000, so he NEVER changed the oil or the filter or anything, after 90,000 miles the engine finally caught fire. If it were a clogged filter, I don't expect that that would have caused the problem. If an oil filter isn't changed I could see it causing problems with the engine, but certainly not killing the entire thing.

Back