Non Hub Centric Wheels and Broken Studs. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Non Hub Centric Wheels and Broken Studs.

Earlier today I was switching out to my old tires and wheel because my alignment is off a tiny bit from replacing ball joints and I wont be able to get an alignment for another week, and I had a bit of trouble taking one lug nut off, but I was able to get it off. Then when I went to put it back one the stud just snapped off, a completely clean break likely caused by the extra stress from the wheel not being centered on the hub.

So, how much should it cost to replace a single stud on my own? And on a scale of 1 to 10, how hard? And I have some experience, I am capable of replacing the disks for the breaks, so I'm hoping I have a bit of an advantage there. But no matter what it still looks somewhat difficult.

And also note that when I bought the wheels that aren't hub centric, I had no idea that it mattered and the sales person at summit racing assured me that everything would fit and even said there would be no problem with them on the 96 explorer and that they would cause no problems, now I know that was wrong, and I am going to try and get the wheels replaced but I doubt that will happen since they have no proof of what the salesperson said.

And thanks in advance to anyone who can help. :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most wheels factory or aftermarket aren't hub centric. To mount them especially if their not you loosely mount the lug nuts one at a time so that the lug nuts center the wheel onto the studs and hub/ rotor.

To replace a stud is really easy. only cost between $.99-2.99 depending where you buy the stud from. Remove the brakes til you have the hub assembly showing (if 4wd) remove the rotor fromt he spindle (if 2wd). Take a hammer tap on the stud from the outside til it pops out, slide the new stud in from the backside, push it in uas far as it'll go (make sure the teeth on stud are started into the stud hole) place lug nut onto stud and tighten until the stud is in completely.

Hubcentric rings might help, if your wheels could work with them.

Thanks for the info, I plan on replacing it pretty soon. Any suggestions where to get good quality rings/adapters for it?

The good rings are made of brass if I remember from my old set of wheels on m a car I used to own. only thing is you need to put anti-seize on them or they'll be stuck in he wheels (especially aluminum) and onto the brake rotor/ hubs.

I heard the same about plastic ones, thanks for the link. I will probably be ordering them within a couple days. But are they fine for steel wheels? I stopped by a discount tire and they said that these rings didn't even exist, and eventually the same guy said they have them but they wont work on steel wheels, only aluminum. He then promptly suggested I buy new wheels from them. So I left.

I think you are out of luck with steel wheels.

Most aftermarket aluminum wheels are machined to accept a hubcentric ring.

Yeah, I have started to see that with the research I have been doing. I am just going to make sure they are centered and properly torqued. And replacing the stud took about twenty minutes by the way, and it was much easier than I thought it would be.

Glad to hear.

Back