Non-Limited Key Fob not recognized? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Non-Limited Key Fob not recognized?

dco43054

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
cmh
Year, Model & Trim Level
20 XLT
Add this one to the list.

All of the sudden this evening, the key I use all the time ceased to work with the remote entry. My X is a 2011 XLT with the three buttons.

I thought the key battery died, so I replaced the battery. Still didn't work. I checked the second key - it didn't work either.

So I removed the negative battery cable from the vehicle and allowed the system to reset. Then both keys worked again.

What a POS the vehicle electronics are.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And again.

Yesterday morning I parked the Explorer and hit the button on the key to lock the doors. Came back in the evening and when I was about 50 feet away, I pressed the unlock button and - nothing. Tried it again right next to the vehicle. Nothing. So I used the key to unlock the door and of course the alarm sounded. Lovely. Put the key in the ignition and shut the alarm off and started the vehicle, and then got a terrain management failure warning.

Thankfully, the terrain management message went away and has not returned, but the key fob wouldn't work.

So, I disconnected the battery again tonight to reset whichever computer it is that controls the entry system. And now, it works again.

PITA

My dad's remote had that problem. There's a little metal button thing and it unattached itself so there is no connection made to complete the circuit when you press the button. Open your remote up and see if that is the case. What I did was glue my dad's remote back together with a little bit of hot glue and it is working for him again.

My dad's remote had that problem. There's a little metal button thing and it unattached itself so there is no connection made to complete the circuit when you press the button. Open your remote up and see if that is the case. What I did was glue my dad's remote back together with a little bit of hot glue and it is working for him again.

See first post. Not a battery issue. This is on the vehicle side. Battery disconnect/reconnect solves issue. At least temporarily. We'll see how long it goes til it loses its mind again.

As a follow up to this problem - I was wondering if this might be vehicle power related. And it caused me to think about replacing the battery. 3 years is not a terribly long time for a battery, but to get caught with a dead one is not fun.

And a month and a half later, my battery died.

It's possible it could be a car battery thing. On my jeep which had a smart key that you had to insert in the dash, it occasionally would not recognize the key at all, replaced the battery in the jeep and never had that problem again.

Back