non-working gas and temperature gauges | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

non-working gas and temperature gauges

Gary.Schmidt

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ranger
Hello,
Has anyone had both the gas and temperature gauges to not work? I bought a 1994 Ranger with 128,000 and they both were not working. Would there be a relay or something controlling both?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum! Might be a loose connection at the gauge cluster. You can verify both gauges all the way to the sender with a multimeter set to resistance mode, at various points up to the gauge. Sometimes the pins on the gauges don't make good contact, or the printed circuit contacts do not make a good connection with the cluster harness connectors.

Any luck on your problem? I've got the same issue plus my oil gauge is possessed lol, been driving it for two years like this so I know its nothing but electrical

Non-working gas and temp gauge.

I haven't worked on the gauges, my transmission went out. Went to Pull A Part got a transmission out of one of their Rangers and it had the same problem as mine. Found a new input shaft assembly and countershaft on Ebay for $95.00 so that is what I am going to do as I don't want to pull another transmission in February.

Well if the fuses are not blown then for the gas its probably the brass float is taking in gas and the float sinks in the tank this is a common problem. As for the water gauge there is a Sender located just under the upper water neck. The sender has a thin threaded bolt with a single wire attached to the top. The wire could of broke of just came off.

Back