Noob from SoCal

willygood

Reaction score
City, State
Ventura, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Aviator & '96 XLT 5.0
Hey everyone!

I discovered your site a couple of years ago and have been lurking off & on ever since.

At the time I had a '96 Mocha Frost XLT 5.0. Then last year, with thoughts of selling the Ex for something newer, we bought an '05 Lincoln Aviator.

It's 2WD, light green ext. / tan leather int., 3 seats, dual air, dual power seats, parking sensors, 4-valve 4.6 and 5-speed auto. This second gen Explorer chassis rides & handles beautifly. When I bought the car, I thought it had the 2 or 3-valve V8. Imagine my surprise when I discovered a Mach 1 version of the 4.6 under the hood. Effortless power.

However, the downside to Aviator ownership is the difficulty in locating sites like yours with large numbers of Aviator owners onboard. I hope you don't mind a Lincoln in the mix.

Anyway, just thought I'd say Hi. This is a great site.

I'll post pics when I figure out how!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the group... The Aviator is based on the same frame/drivetrain as the Explorer so you're more than welcome here...

BTW, what kind of mileage are you getting with it???

Welcome To Explorer Forum!

welcome to the forum u should join this site www.photobucket.com

it gives u a code to post pics up on here.

4-valve MPG.

Welcome to the group... The Aviator is based on the same frame/drivetrain as the Explorer so you're more than welcome here...

BTW, what kind of mileage are you getting with it???

Thanks for the welcome everyone! I originally found this site when I was looking for Explorer related news & articles. Now that I've got another Explorer-type vehicle in the driveway, I thought I'd make it official.

Lincoln graciously included mpg as part of its trip computer. So I'm constantly reminded of how a more fuel efficient car would be a better deal for the daily commute. But, gosh that thing rides, handles & accelerates so nice.

Anyway, the best I"ve gotten were two instances of 19 mpg freeway driving, averaging 70+. If I do alot of town driving, 9 - 11. Average commuting mpg, 13 - 15. Do the 2 and 3-valve motors get equal or better? Just curious.

Thanks again for the welcome.

HOLY CRAP I figured it would be 16-20 around town... Wow, that thing gets horrible mileage for what i thought it would get... I get 9 driving around town in my V10 Excursion!!!

Guess I'll be looking at a minivan for my wife instead of one of these when the time comes... :(

Back