Noob - needs air ride help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Noob - needs air ride help

Warp6

Reaction score
Hi all, nice forum!
I have a 97 EB with air ride. Every time I have this thing serviced on a lift, the suspension extends (duh) and the air bags fill up. When it gets back on the ground the bags stay tight for a long time(days). Before it's lifted, the air ride switch is turned off. It drives me crazy! It actually feels dangerous to drive. What can I do to keep this from happening? Can the air bags be bled? Thanks in advance, Craig

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! How can the air bags fill if the switch is turned off (unless you forgot to turn it off before it got lifted)? You might be able to fabricate a bleed off valve something like the kind they use on a tire. Was this an aftermarket add on or original equipment?

Welcome to the site!

Welcome to this forum! How can the air bags fill if the switch is turned off (unless you forgot to turn it off before it got lifted)? You might be able to fabricate a bleed off valve something like the kind they use on a tire. Was this an aftermarket add on or original equipment?
Thanks for the welcome. This is OE. The switch always gets turned OFF before lifting. Is there a remedy?

Having same problem with 2001 explorer. have replaced solenoid and relays on system but no cure yet. ford dealer tells me that solenoid is common problem. It is located on top of crossmember in front of spare tire. Relays are in power distribution box under hood by master cylinder. Locations #8 and #9 are for air suspension

is it factory air ride? if not whenever you put it on the lift, dump almost all the air out of your bags and take a ratchet strap to pull your axle up if you can. once you get it back on the ground you can undo the ratchet strap and fill your bags back up... thats what i do.

Back