Noob question on ordering a 2014 Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Noob question on ordering a 2014 Sport

cvg

Reaction score
City, State
Sunnyvale, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
Hi Everyone,

I am a "soon to be" 2014 Explorer Sport owner.

I haven't ordered yet, but will be very soon. I live in Northern California (SF Bay Area) and was wondering if anyone had any tips about the ordering process - lessons learned etc
I know what options I want, I do have some specific questions though.

* Normally what kind (how much) of a deposit is required? I am already pre-approved for my financing.
* The dealer told me 10-12 weeks before I would have the car - does this sound about right?
*I have been quoted a price "out the door" - I want to shop around, but I know the sport model are not plentiful.

Also, anything else that could be helpful - thanks everyone! Much appreciated

CVG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Everyone,

I haven't ordered yet, but will be very soon. I live in Northern California (SF Bay Area) and was wondering if anyone had any tips about the ordering process - lessons learned etc

* Normally what kind (how much) of a deposit is required? I am already pre-approved for my financing.
* The dealer told me 10-12 weeks before I would have the car - does this sound about right?
*I have been quoted a price "out the door" - I want to shop around, but I know the sport model are not plentiful.

CVG

Hi CVG,

Congratulations on your decision to order an Explorer! I'm sure all the fine folks on the forum will chime in with some advice, but I wanted to jump in and make some suggestions as well.

If you haven't already, give our Marketing Program Headquarters a call so they can fill you in on incentives that are available in your area. You can reach them at 1-800-334-4375, or if you're on Twitter, you can send a tweet to our verified account: @FordService.

Once you order, send me a PM with your order number and dealership name/location. I'll give you weekly updates on your order's status and let you know when your Explorer reaches certain milestones as it is being produced.

Happy shopping!

Crystal

I've had my 2014 Sport for 1 week now, love it, its been flawless so far.

One thing you will see discussed on the forums here are some options are better to be ordered from the factory and some are Ok to add later.

Order during factor order:
401A package, can't add that later. Adds most options to make it similar to the limited in features.
Trailer Tow - factory option comes with full towing capacity and two types of plugs for trailer wiring, also the nice hitch cover that blends with the bumper. Adding this later, depending on who you talk to, will limit your towing capacity and doesn't match the bumper like the factory one. For the price its worth it, even if you don't plan to tow anything, it will help resale if anything, or it will be there if you need it.
Second row console - if you order dual seating, the console is only $100 and a nice option. There is difficulty to finding these aftermarket and the prices are much higher to add later. Can be removed if needed. My kids love having one since the bucket seats don't have armrests.
Adaptive Cruise control - Most likely can't be added later. I personally love this feature, seems to work really well and you'll wonder how you lived without it.
Wheel guards - Not much money and will keep mud, rocks etc off the side of your car. Could be added later, but nice to protect your car from the start in my opinion.
Moon Roof - I ordered mine just to make sure I didn't have one of these because I live in Arizona. Most dealer's stock usually have this and its not cheap. I think if i lived on the coast I might consider having one though. Look at explorers at the lot with and without this and then decide.

Options like roof rails, rear bumper guard, cargo shade, etc could be added later if needed. But check prices, sometimes ordering from the factory with the car could be cheaper. Just depends on what you want.

Lead time seems about right to me, you'll probably get it quicker I bet. Crystal is very responsive to follow your order and will provide you your VIN, Window sticker and ETA when it all becomes available. So the wait is long, but worth it and Ford supports you well along the way.

My wife has enjoyed driving hers, she came from an Xterra that she liked, but the Explorer Sport is a whole new level of comfort by comparison.

Hope this helps! Others will hopefully add more ideas for you.

...Crystal is very responsive to follow your order and will provide you your VIN, Window sticker and ETA when it all becomes available. So the wait is long, but worth it and Ford supports you well along the way...

Thanks for the kind words, jetpilot747! :D

Crystal

Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words, jetpilot747! :D

Crystal

Thanks for the tips guys (and gal!)

Crystal - I will PM you once I get all of the details...

CVG

I ordered via phone on 8/1/13 and haven't heard anything. Not even a order number yet. Is that normal?

I ordered via phone on 8/1/13 and haven't heard anything. Not even a order number yet. Is that normal?

Not sure about phone orders. When I ordered mine in person, I walked out with my order sheet which had the Order Number, Dealer Number, etc.

Have had my Sport for close to two weeks. Well worth the wait.

I ordered mine via phone, but they faxed me the order confirmation so I could review the price and the options that they were putting in. I faxed back my confirmation and they input the order the next day and faxed me the order sheet and the order number. VIN and Window sticker didn't show up for me until weeks later, but at least with the order number Crystal on this site can confirm the order was accepted by the factory and give you weekly updates.

Hi HSQ450,

Give your dealership a call; I'm sure they'll be able to help you out with your ordering info. :)

Crystal

Hi Everyone,

CVG

We put a $1000 cash deposit on ours when we ordered it. Ours took 35 days from factory order at the dealership, to our driveway.

The prices are pretty much all the same here in Canada, but I did find quite a few online in the States that seemed to be cheaper for some reason (Most US dealers won't sell to Canadians, though.... Ford won't let them apparently). We budgeted $50,000 CDN for ours.... it ended up coming in at just over $48,000 CDN after the rebates and the $1000 Costco cash. We were happy with that.

How long to get my 14 sport

Crystal

I ordered my 14 sport 1 week ago from a dealer in Ohio. Can you help me track the status of it?

Thanks.

Back