Normal anti-theft light battery drain? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Normal anti-theft light battery drain?

glo81

Reaction score
City, State
Southern California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT 4.0L
After my most recent car battery died after only 15 months in my stock 2002 XLT (and the previous one after 2 years 4 months), I decided to have the alternator checked and check for any parasitic drains. The alternator is fine. With the multimeter, after having the car sat off for several hours, it showed a draw of 0.07 amps. While doing this, I saw the anti-theft light doing its usual blinking every 2 seconds. Before I move on to test the fuses, is that a normal draw for the anti-theft light? Seems like that's more than normal.

I was about to ask a similar situation. Last August i had to change my battery (a Wal Mart battery, with warranty, lucky me), and just today my wife told me that the car isn't starting, doesn't make any sound so i suppose is the battery. I would have to go today and ask for a replacement, but i would like to know what can be draining the battery in only 2 months. I have to say that the car has been sitting on the parking more than usual, using it twice a week, maybe three times. Should i check the alternator?

After I change today the battery, i'm going to disconnect it whie the engine runs to see if the alternator is working properly.

Back