North Georgia camping

colintrax

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Going wheeling/camping at Chattahoochee and Oconee National Forest the first weekend of May. I've never been there, don't even have a clue what it's like. So be prepared for anything :D

Oconee is very mild for wheeling, maybe some mud. The camping can be good though. Just be aware that it is open to turkey hunting right now.

Chattahoochee offers some good trails and excellent camping. We've slacked the past couple years but used to go to Chattahoochee a couple times a year for camping. Any area in particular you're considering?

Nottely River is one of our favorite campgrounds in Blairsville.

Beasley Knob is supposed to be a challenging trail if that's what you're looking for.

And I know they kind of consider Chattahoochee-Oconee as one forest but I consider Oconee the more eastern through middle Georgia part and is fun to explore but not as scenic. Good hiking but not as much on the driving and camping.

Oconee is very mild for wheeling, maybe some mud. The camping can be good though. Just be aware that it is open to turkey hunting right now.

Chattahoochee offers some good trails and excellent camping. We've slacked the past couple years but used to go to Chattahoochee a couple times a year for camping. Any area in particular you're considering?

Nottely River is one of our favorite campgrounds in Blairsville.

Beasley Knob is supposed to be a challenging trail if that's what you're looking for.

And I know they kind of consider Chattahoochee-Oconee as one forest but I consider Oconee the more eastern through middle Georgia part and is fun to explore but not as scenic. Good hiking but not as much on the driving and camping.

Thanks for the info, I've never been there nor could I find much info on google. But I figured at worst it'd be fun to explore and camp out. Wasn't a particular place I was aiming for, just whatever I get to first :D

Oh btw what you consider a challenging trail and what I consider a challenging trail are probably different :D

Back