Northern Colorado spring wheeling? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Northern Colorado spring wheeling?

nssj2

Reaction score
It's that time of year ladies and gentlemen. I've heard some rumor of interest to do a day trip up to storm mountain http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=228. I think we need to arrange something, as we live in some prime trail area with some great upcoming weather. Plus I've been seeing a handfull of local projects wrap up, so that must mean a test drive is in order :D. Takers???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Depending on the weekend, (weddings and things) I am down. I live in Laramie so a short drive and I'm there. 78miles

Id be interested depending on what I can get fixed on the Ex in these upcoming weekends, she needs a lil TLC

I would probably be able to make it. Do you know if the trail is open? Had buddy try and run Dakan Road Yesterday and the gate was still locked. I am looking forward to Holy Cross this Summer. Been wanting to go last couple years. This trail looks like fun.

Alright I just got off the phone with Canyon Lakes Ranger District (970-295-6700) who is over that trail. She said that at the very earliest it will be open is June 15th. I asked if snow pack is a factor in that, she said yes but only if the snow is still there after the open date. She said that June 15th is as soon as it will be open, period more or less is what I got out of it. Its open to foot traffic but the gate wont be open for trucks until then.

I was surprised it was that late because it really isn't that high. Its only at 10,000ft which is high but not like some of the others like Black Bear Pass, Engineer Pass, and Cinnamon Pass. They will be open by Labor Day with the exception of Black Bear since it is a melt off only trail no way to plow it on those switchbacks. But they do plow the others and also the San Juan Public Land Center said its one of the very last in the state to open up. So surprised Storm Drain wouldn't be open at least by the first of June.

That looks like a pretty mellow run, with some fun parts. Heart attack looks to be no problem, the chutes looks tight! To tight for a stock un locked rig but would be fun to spot and watch. I like that trail option to. Still in Fort Collins so still in the middle for everyone.

Lets try and set a date that works for everyone then. Then as soon as that storm drain trail opens up in June we can run that one.

Dates that don't work for me:
April 9th I have school, they are taking off another day for a longer weekend so the hours have to be made up on a Saturday (only have school until 12:30)
April 29-May 1 Wedding in Southern Utah (800 mile trip)
May 6-8 Its my wedding anniversary so will be in Denver hang'n with the wife.
That's the only weekends that don't work for me, that I know of.

April 15-16
April 22-23

Both work for me and the wife. Probably pref the 22-23 but either one is open! We would be interested in camping somewhere if others want to as well.
Or just meet up Saturday and run Kelly Flats!

nssj2 or joker1457 have either one that works for them?

Alright so I thought I would call the forest service and check just for *hits and giggles. Well Kelly Flats is closed to until June 15th. I asked if all trails where going to be she said yes. All trails except Sevenmile Creek are closed until then.

:mad: :fire: lol, wanting to go wheeling. Guess at the end of April ill be in St. George Utah and can wheel there. All trails open all year not closers ever. Will use my brothers 1st gen Explorer since he rubs it in ever other week with new pics of wheelin trips.

Okay, im not familiar with the place at all. That's just what the lady at the office said. Although she didn't spend time to check so maybe she is just saying that to everyone?

Edit: Ah I see. Hate it when they add gates. Lol. Well better to know before everyone drives to meet up and there's nowhere to go.

I was afraid of that too. How about lefthand canyon? That was open January last year, so I'd imagine this year would be the same. Fun trail outside of boulder. Not too difficult, but fun playgrounds. I'd say Carnage Canyon, but I've seen a stock 2WD :eek: S10 do that trail as it's been demolished and abused. Chinaman's gultch might be a bit much for some vehicles.

lefthand- http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=6
chinaman's- http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=1
carnage- http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=4

As far as dates, the 23rd and 24th work brilliant for me. What are everyone's thoughts on trails?

Oh, and Kelly flatts for sure has gates when I checked the beginning of this season

Chinamans is out for me that looks mean for a T Bared rig with no locker. Been in areas like that in southern utah but its all slick rock so way more traction. Also with little flex up front that one rock looks looming. Can't afford to hurt the rig right now body wise. But if there is a few spots to ride I have no objections to spotting and taking HD vids and pics for others either.

Carnage looks okay but it shows its permanently closed on traildamage.

Most of lefthand looks pretty doable to. Rough in the one leaning ledge (tippy tree) it looks like, but other than that looks fun. I don't have any decent tow hook points either which sucks bit what do ya do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey im new to the site and came across this....... I would like to join you guys depending on (Work/Difficulty of trail). My x is stock other than a set of Bf mud tires... :D

Back