Not a glowing report on the 2022 Ex. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Not a glowing report on the 2022 Ex.

peterk9

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Aviator Reserve 201A
Callsign
VE3

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

13 out of 14. Oof.

This CR report does touch on what many here have complained about. The transmission.
I have the Explorer and an 2019 F-150 10 speed. Both transmissions have been smooth so far. However all the complaints here and on the F-150 forum about the transmission make me wonder why Ford cannot or will not solve the issue so many folks are having. My wife had a 2012 Focus with the manual/automatic with the strange shifting. It would shudder between 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. Was a problem for the entire production run of this model Focus. Her Focus was recalled for new programming multiple times. Reprogramming would help for awhile, then back to the same shudder. Really annoying and it hurt sales and quality ratings for the Focus. Never failed, just not a pleasing drive. Her nephew has it now and it has over 250,000 miles without failure. But, it was just not what one recommend to anyone.

I just find it hard to believe Ford cannot solve the problem on the 10 speed shifting issues. Killing Explorer sales.

My 22 ST transmission is completely smooth. I am not getting it this assessment. Probably paid for reviews.

Or, you got a good one, and a lot of people didn’t. Have a search of the forum, they are plenty buggy. They didn’t come out on the bottom for no reason.

Or, you got a good one, and a lot of people didn’t. Have a search of the forum, they are plenty buggy. They didn’t come out on the bottom for no reason.
I think the 2020 was known to be an issue. I think a majority of it was resolved in 21, and certainly 22. I suppose I have a lucky one but I’m thinking CR is just off based and biased frankly. Not to say the explorer is perfect but I don’t trust them one bit.

My 22 ST transmission is completely smooth. I am not getting it this assessment. Probably paid for reviews.

Yeah, but they are talking about XLT not an ST. ST has an excellent transmission. Out of tens of thousands of ST sold, there have been only a few that had transmission issues.

Yeah, but they are talking about XLT not an ST. ST has an excellent transmission. Out of tens of thousands of ST sold, there have been only a few that had transmission issues.
I figured it’s the same 10 speed transmission. Just tuned different.

I think everyone has a different idea of shifting... My take: the trans calibration is subpar compared to other makes. There certainly is a difference between the 2.3L and 3.0L due to their powerbands but ultimately, I feel Ford didn't do a good job--shifts more like a truck and not like a car.

Pretty much everyone says the GM versions of this transmission are buttery smooth and not the lurch-ridden shifting that goes on with ours.

I do not know how many times it has to be said. If your transmission has shifting issues then un hook your battery for 15ish minutes then hook it back up. Then drive your vehicle... don't just put around.

Have owned/own a total of 3 10-speeds without issue. The F150 had a bit of an issue after tge dealer un hooked the battery. After a couple weeks un hooked and re hooked to reset the computer and back to perfect.

I guess the members here who have had issues are just lying.

I guess the members here who have had issues are just lying.
No... but most of their "problems" do not seem like problems to me. If these new transmissions get off on their learning they can do odd things and I don't think they are programed to expect people to putter around like they are driving miss daisy. Likely why ST owners seem to have less issues. Also it seems a lot of people are sensitive to firm shifting. Firm or "hard" shifts are not a bad thing. There is a reason why tow/haul mode shifts harder than normal.

Transmission break-in. Made this experience with Mercedes. (Company car one year lease, Same model, same transmission (only 7G-DCT) - totally different outcome on the two).
First one was delivered fresh from the factory via driver (300miles) and i had to drive to a project the same day(400miles).
If i had paid with my own money on the first one i would have been in the shop ever week. Drove like a beauty on highways.
But shifting in the city was hideous (same symptoms as mentioned above) and wouldn’t change/improve for the next 30Kmiles.(reset/early fluid change included)
Second one i picked up myself, broke it in correctly. No problems.
What you do wrong during the first 1000 miles on these modern transmissions is almost impossible to be reversed. Even with resetting/reprogramming. Best chance is the driver does another prolonged and very meticulous break in cycle as early as possible.
Because any reprogramming cannot be fitted to the individual abrasion processes during the break-in.
The mentioned alternative in the article (a Kia) has pretty basic 8 speed AT vs. the Ford’s 10 gear triple clutch transmission. Go figure.

No... but most of their "problems" do not seem like problems to me. If these new transmissions get off on their learning they can do odd things and I don't think they are programed to expect people to putter around like they are driving miss daisy. Likely why ST owners seem to have less issues. Also it seems a lot of people are sensitive to firm shifting. Firm or "hard" shifts are not a bad thing. There is a reason why tow/haul mode shifts harder than normal.
You should be able to putter around. Or drive how ever you want. The transmission shifts “fine” because you drive it in a certain way. If that wasn’t your driving style you’d probably not like it. Which is incredibly lame, especially on an alleged “luxury” vehicle. Shifts don’t have to be firm to be good. That kind of thinking is carried over from old school transmissions that needed firm shifts to not burn themselves up.

My Kia can shift so smooth you can barely feel it, to firmer than it probably needs to be. It’s not hard to make a transmission widely adaptable, but in typical fashion Ford missed the mark with its garbage programming.

What do you consider proper break-in? I bought my Explorer new. Went easy on it the first week or two. I feel like around town and with light to moderate throttle, shifting can be quite ungainly. Mash the peddle and it shifts fast and smooth. Sport mode is actually a little smoother overall.

Transmission break-in. Made this experience with Mercedes. (Company car one year lease, Same model, same transmission (only 7G-DCT) - totally different outcome on the two).
First one was delivered fresh from the factory via driver (300miles) and i had to drive to a project the same day(400miles).
If i had paid with my own money on the first one i would have been in the shop ever week. Drove like a beauty on highways.
But shifting in the city was hideous (same symptoms as mentioned above) and wouldn’t change/improve for the next 30Kmiles.(reset/early fluid change included)
What you do wrong during the first 1000 miles on these modern transmissions is almost impossible to be reversed. Even with resetting/reprogramming. Best chance is the driver does another prolonged and very meticulous break in cycle as early as possible.
Because any reprogramming cannot be fitted to the individual abrasion processes during the break-in.
The mentioned alternative in the article (a Kia) has pretty basic 8 speed AT vs. the Ford’s 10 gear triple clutch transmission. Go figure.
Or, maybe your break-in was entirely irrelevant, and the second one you got was just a better build.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is the answer. However, I will say I think the transmission inconsistencies has been around even since the 5th gen. My 17 was pretty bad 2 into 3 gear. But I just dealt with it. Wasn’t a deal breaker. My 22 St shifts like a dream compared to it. Overall I think the newer explorers are improved and people just like to harp on old news. Frankly if according to CR the worst thing about my explorer is the transmission, then I will be one happy owner lol

Back