Not a WHOOPS but Oh SH%#%^T!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Not a WHOOPS but Oh SH%#%^T!!

So I am driving to work Wed and it had just rained pretty hard but was clearing, streets still wet and slick. City streets, where I am in the right lane with another car in the left lane, and a Shelby Cobra 427 behind him. The guy to my left eases over into the far left lane leaving the middle lane open. The guy in the Cobra decides to pull between us and get >VERY RAPIDLY< ahead of us. I'm thinking.. "Hey, this is cool. Don't get to see a Cobra every day."
Well, just as he is between us he drops it into 2nd from 3rd I guess, and screeches ahead. You guessed it - he breaks the rear loose on wet concrete and look out sister!! :eek: Rear end swerves into the left lane in front of the car in the far left lane and he is almost sideways. :eek: He overcorrects and brakes hard but his rear continues to come around and he is now into my lane ahead of me. :eek::eek: He is now almost perpendicular to me in front of me and I'M braking hard!! His rear end continues to swing around and bounces over curb on my right (now his left) and into (luckily) and open field. He didn't roll it and didn't do any real damage that could be seen. He skidded into the field I'd estimate about 20 yards.
First pic is looking in to wet field with skid marks..
Second pic is looking back at my Explorer and skid marks. You can see the street is wet. I pulled off to see if he was ok (he was) and get him calm before he tried to drive away.
Third pic is as he sheepishly drives away with skid marks of where he came to rest.
Fourth pic is just because I wanted to get a pic of the Cobra.
Needless to say is was an exciting drive to work for me, and damn sure exciting for him!! Actually, he really was apologetic and knew he screwed up and was really sorry. Fortunately he, nor anyone else was hurt. The Cobra took it well and after re-connecting the battery in the trunk (he knocked it loose when he went up over the curb) it started right up and he drove off. Nice guy really, probably about 60 or so out for a spin in his Shelby Cobra. Pun intended.

Attachments

• 20150708_132524.jpg
    20150708_132524.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 657
  • 20150708_132102.jpg
    20150708_132102.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 598
  • 20150708_132525.jpg
    20150708_132525.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 615
  • 20150708_132520.jpg
    20150708_132520.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 604

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow chef, I wonder if the driver could even handle the Cobra? I wish you had a dashcam, I am ordering one as soon as I get paid.

Don't call them Widowmakers for nothing you know ;)

Wow chef, I wonder if the driver could even handle the Cobra? I wish you had a dashcam, I am ordering one as soon as I get paid.

I do have a dash cam. I'll pull the mem card and look at it today.

Ok, here is the vid. It starts with me going through the intersection. Just as I pass the buildings on the right, watch for the Cobra to make its entrance on the far left. The video is not quite as exciting as my stirring written rendition... He did not quite spin around as far as I remembered. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/L7Ss3bcOGH8

Awesome! Wow, that bonehead nearly clipped you Chef! Good thing YOU were driving well. Take care friend.

Back