Not again!! a lot coolant overflowing from reservoir | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Not again!! a lot coolant overflowing from reservoir

oz16us

Reaction score
City, State
Brandon, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
not again! Please help. Just when I thought all the cooling issues where fixed for my 2001 sport trac, I was at the Walmart parking lot (just 5 minutes drive) walking to my truck and I noticed coolant leaking from the bottom. A lot of it.
I opened the hood to find that the overflow tank was leaking non-stop. I take off the cap to see it is mainly brown. I don't think it looked like a milk shake. It looked more like a sealant called K-Seal that I used in it 2 yrs ago. So I let it all drip out and then hitch a ride with a friend.
After 3 hrs, I come back and drive it home 5 minutes ago. I check that there was no coolant in the reservoir nor the radiator. A lot of the coolant must have come out.
I did not notice any temp issues when driving for that short period of time. A lot of coolant came out only when it was parked.

2 yrs ago, I changed out my radiator and cap/hoses, fan clutch, thermostat and water pump...and the vehicle still overheated. Thinking it might be a head gasket issue, i decided the cheapest route would be to use K-Seal, the leak sealer. Now what do you think is the issue? A bad head gasket? Maybe try one more bottle of K-Seal before installing a used engine?

A bit more diagnosis is definitely in order. Pressure test the cap and system, and go from there.

Back