not charging | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

not charging

Reaction score
City, State
Holt Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer Sport
:mad: I was wondering what way does the wireing go for a alternator to the battery is their a way to check and see if their is a broken wire..... Yesterday I was driving and the alternator locked up and burned the serpetine belt into.... so i put a used altenator on and now its not reading anything on the voltage gauge.... so i checked the battery and the battery is fully chaged so then i took my battery tester and hooked it on the B terminal on the back of the alternator while its running and that shows a charge of 14.75 volts so is their a chance i have a broken wire somewhere????

You tested the alternator + wire and you get 14.75 volts at idle?
What do you get at the + battery post while idling? (should also be 14.75)

What makes you think it is not charging?

ON your 92 I believe the charging wire from the alternator (black with orange right?) goes over to the drivers fender skirt then all the way along the radiator support and over to the starter relay on the fender. This is where it meets up with the red wire that goes to your battery + terminal, as well as the + wires for your relays and power distribution box.

This is from memory on a stock 92, but it should be similar in one way or another.

yes if you are shoing 14.75 volts at the alternator post and not at the battery this means the alternator is charging (voltage regualtor is powered and the belt is spinning the alternator which is generating the proper voltage) but the charge is not getting to your battery + terminal.

Trace the wires, heck remove the alternator wiring loom if you must, it is not that difficult. I have rebuilt mine several times now, these wires wear out faster then most under your hood.

410Fortune said:
You tested the alternator + wire and you get 14.75 volts at idle?
What do you get at the + battery post while idling? (should also be 14.75)

What makes you think it is not charging?
:mad:
Because the voltage guage in my truck is only reading about 9 volts and I took it to the local auto parts store and had them test it and it said my alternator isnt charging the battery at all.... and it has a brand new altenator that is right out of the box and i even had that charged and that tested out ok

Back