Not enough bass in XLT with 8 speaker stereo | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Not enough bass in XLT with 8 speaker stereo

rsteen82

Reaction score
City, State
Edwards AFB ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
Anyone add a sub/amp to their stock 8 speaker system? There isn't enough bass for my taste, so I want to add some, but without having it look or interact any differently then stock (just more bass!) :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could add an inline converter and tap that to a speaker and run your amp/sub combo...

With an inline converter it has speaker wire that you splice into another speaker and that would give you RCA terminals and then you plug your amp into those for signal and run all your other power/remote/ground as normal.

Anyone add a sub/amp to their stock 8 speaker system? There isn't enough bass for my taste, so I want to add some, but without having it look or interact any differently then stock (just more bass!) :salute:

I purchased a processor (maxxsonics mx-1), and have a kicker 10" solobaric square sub to drop in, I just haven't had a free weekend to do the install yet. I'm using a small custom enclosure that I'll be able to put between the 3rd and 2nd rows (under the false floor, when the third row is stowed), or moved to the very back when the third row is up.

I may try to get this banged out next weekend pending no more "surprises".. I'll be sure to take lots of pics.

I have not researched it fully, but now from schematics that the Limited has a sub-woofer in the passenger side back panel in the cargo bay area. The Limited also uses the exact same amp as the XLT, so, by deduction, you could consider adding the factory sub-woofer and likely the wiring is in place for it.

Has anyone taken off that cubby panely on the XLT yet to see what the amp and existing wiring look like? Just wondering if it is indeed possible to just easily drop a sub into that cubby area.

Yup, last weeked I had it all out removing the 3rd row seat.

The amp is on the PS, pretty small and simply has two molex connectors entering, one at the top, one at the bottom. If you are looking at taping one of the wires, since there is a speaker back there in the same area and the wires are color coded, I'm sure you can grab that wire for a tap.

Has anyone taken off that cubby panely on the XLT yet to see what the amp and existing wiring look like? Just wondering if it is indeed possible to just easily drop a sub into that cubby area.

There was a post where someone removed the whole panel. I think it included pictures. It was a while ago though.

There are pictures but I don't think they explained with pictures how to remove the panel, simply a pic of the end result. I just did the same thing, removed my 3rd row by pulling those two panels so if someone wants to do that, just get back to me and I'll explain here. It is not that difficult, actually not as hard as I thought it would be.

I'v got a limited with the Sony. The sub-woofer is sub-standard. The sound system is great except for the base. The base is better in my wife's RAV4 although overall quality isn't.

There are pictures but I don't think they explained with pictures how to remove the panel, simply a pic of the end result. I just did the same thing, removed my 3rd row by pulling those two panels so if someone wants to do that, just get back to me and I'll explain here. It is not that difficult, actually not as hard as I thought it would be.

I'm interested in learning how to remove the 3rd row.

Back