not enough sound from new muffler | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

not enough sound from new muffler

jott_06

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Limited
My old mustang had Borla exhaust with a off road bbk x-pipe and it had a nice throaty sound when you got into it and a deep rumble when idleing so i decided to have a borla muffler put on the explorer also. When I first started it after picking it up it sounded almost the same as stock at an idle but does have a low deep sound when accelerating. I was really expecting some more sound out of it. My question is, are the 3 catalytic converters what is making it so quiet, and can the third one be removed without setting off any lights?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More cats will make it quieter, but give it some time so the muffler can break in. My thrush muffler was SILENT at first, but it's gotten some rumble now. Also, for the sake of emissions testing and keeping the world as pollution free as possible get a racing cat. It'll flow better, make more noise, but still keep down the amount of bad crap coming out your tail pipe.

Good!

Silence is golden...

More cats will make it quieter, but give it some time so the muffler can break in. My thrush muffler was SILENT at first, but it's gotten some rumble now. Also, for the sake of emissions testing and keeping the world as pollution free as possible get a racing cat. It'll flow better, make more noise, but still keep down the amount of bad crap coming out your tail pipe.

What Thrush muffler do you have??? I have a Thrush glasspack and my 4.0 sounds like a Gran Prix with the muffler rotting out.

Removing the "resonator" made a huge difference with my SuperTurbo.
No increase of interior drone and didn't have a sensor to throw codes.

unfortunately you cannot compare this to a mustang. They use different headers and cat's and are programmed and tuned differently and will sound 10 times better then an ex with the same muffler. Only way is to do headers and full exhaust system to get close to that. Or you can strap on a flowmaster and call it a day but there is no performance gained with those. and alot of people dont like them.

I actually put on a flowmaster super 44 and its not too bad for a v6... its throaty and deep at a normal take off but does get a hair ricey when its slammed through the floor. Id recommend a flowmaster super44 fersure. I like it a lot

When i was in high school my dad told me a couple of tricks from when he was a kid.
1) they would burn out the muffler before putting it on probably not your best idea.
2) the one i used was go out and drive it and get it nice and hot then put a garden hose running cold water into your exhaust and let it run into the muffler.

Im sure i overdid it since i had to run to the house and get the garden hose everyday for about a month but i wanted to make sure i got it done right!!

the cold water will cause the insides to contract pretty fast and break apart so you get that nice noise your looking for is the idea. I know that in my case it did make a difference and exhaust noise got quite a bit louder.

1) they would burn out the muffler before putting it on probably not your best idea.
2) the one i used was go out and drive it and get it nice and hot then put a garden hose running cold water into your exhaust and let it run into the muffler.

That only work on fiberglass packed mufflers (glasspacks) because the water or fire will break up the fiberglass packing in there. The fiberglass packing is what "muffles" it. Glasspacks used to be far more prevalent back in the day then chambered mufflers.That doesn't work on chambered mufflers because the baffles in there are welded down so to break them you would have to make it hot enough to melt the welds a little so that it would be brittle so that it breaks.

thanks inspector,

Your right i did have glass packs. Sorry for the misinformation

It's not misinformation as what you said does work with glasspacks. I was just clarifying that it will not work with chambered mufflers. So if his Borla is a chambered muffler that it wouldn't work but if it isn't a chambered muffler that what you said will work.

Noise without the performance to match is wank.

By all means a nice sounding exhaust is something most people seek. But there's loud and then there's LOUD.
I've got a 2 and a half inch single with a hooker muffler and nice sound while accelerating and cruising but a little louder than stock when at the lights, which doesn't draw attention.

Headers will most likely be the mod your chasing.
Pity in Australia the explorer is RHD and there are no of the shelf headers in Oz to suit

That's my 2cents

Back