Not enuff power going though the starter relay | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Not enuff power going though the starter relay

SBJ420

Reaction score
City, State
Windsor NS
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
1994 explorer 4.0L 4x4 stock

I have changed all my battery wires, the grounds from the battery, and all the power wires that go to the starter and the starter cylanoeid?(SP) I have no idea how to spell that. When I turn my keys on to start all it does is click, but the starter does not click at all.. and when I go to bridge the connection at the starter relay or the starter cylanoied, it does nothing, usually it will park a lot and the starter will turn but I get very little sparks and nothing at the starter... usually you can fell the screw driver pull to the prongs when you cross them but not now... I have also changed the cylanoid,so thats not the problem. Any ideas at all?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey, I had a starter problem a while back and this is from my mod post

-And just to round out the wonderful evening, when I went to leave my workplace, where I was conducting my repairs, SHE WOULDN`T START! Just a big ol` "click" when I turned the key. I tell ya man, I just felt like laying down for a while after that. Thankfully there was a hill from the shop so I jumped it and came home.

Well I went down this morning to see what was what, and it fired up first try. Then it refused to do anything after that, just that "click". I went for a walk and bought some new battery terminals, trimmed off the ends of my wires and connected that all up and "click"
Then I swore at it for a bit, then pulled out the starter and cleaned all those connections. I left the starter out and tried again. "Click"
So I disconnected the starter and walked across the street to get it bench tested at a shop, and it was fine.

My shop manual suggested a test for the "starter relay" where you put a jumper wire from your battery terminal to your relay and try it. I did and "click"
Anyway, it appears to be the relay, so I guess I`m off for a little stroll now. Might grab a new positive battery cable to be sure.

** I`m back, but I tried something else first! I bypassed the relay entirely so that when I pressed the Neg batt cable on, it sent full power to the starter, which got me that "click" again. I started thinking maybe the bench test just "happened to work at the shop and perhaps something was amiss with the starter itself. I hooked everything back up and tried an old trick I learned long ago. which is beat the starter with a hammer. Well I turned the key and it turned over and started up instantly. I tried it three more times before the "click" came back, so it must be the starter then! Right? Thing is, do I replace the whole starter or just the solenoid? Ah hell, better to replace it all, I guess.

Sometimes it can be an intermittent starter problem, I would suggest replacing it. You can always return the new starter if the problem persists, tell them it just doesn`t work, they have to take it back.

I`ve never had a problem since

-cheers

I was just talking to a coworker this afternoon with a 92 who carries a sawed off broomstick that he pokes the starter with when it's sticky.
He's not broke, just cheap.

I took out the starter and got it tested and it works fine

ld50 how did you put power straight to your starter?

Jump the terminal on the starter solenoid with a screwdriver.

yeah that does nothing at all... You know when you normaly do that it makes big sparks and you can fell it, well now when I do it, it barely makes any sparks at all!

I took the Battery from my Bronco and tried it aswell, and nothing

and I dont have a volt meter

if I take out the starter and hook it to a battery what should it do? just come out our come out and spin?

Back