Not just your standard tire ? I have pics! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Not just your standard tire ? I have pics!

Kjhadfield

Reaction score
City, State
Panama City Beach, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 sport trac 4wd
Ok, I'm not going to ask - what size tire can I get to fit :fire: I know, I seen them all. And last night I finished reading/scrolling the lifted trac pics (all 100+ page). On a side note, it's pretty cool seeing how the regulars started out on their journey from the beginning. I'm also going to apologize ahead of time for the long ass post and questions - so I added pics :D

It's 4x4, supposed to have the 255/70r16 stock (although has 245/75 since I've owned her) and I believe it's about that time. What do you think? I'm also battling low pressure in lr due to recent screw and it's been a wet month so far.
87AA4A94-F091-4431-A3DD-DFFC90C1FA5E_zpszdot7nky.jpg

This is her. I have always felt the tires were to small in its current condition (stock) but I also don't want to lift but will 1-2" if it's needed (I think it will be needed, at least tt). Do they look small to you? I had to edit the pic to see in the wheel well better (I know, nothing like Luke's edits). Like I said I'm willing to do a tt for 1-1.5" lift and aal but that will have to come later. I'd like to fill the gap and would like to be at least capable of lite off-road capabilities
5231E407-7DD6-47C3-BDB5-61B1BB52430B_zpsse0ns3wi.jpg

So after doing a bunch of research of tire size and what not it's come to 265/70 or 265/75 leaning heavily on the 75s. Reason being if I spent all that $ on 265/70 and was hoping for bigger tire, I would be greatly disappointed. My current 245/75 would only be slightly/hairline smaller tire except for width. So from a side shot, it looks like I have a 265/70 in comparison. But the 265/75 would give me at least a bigger appearance than I currently have by actually being bigger od.
343F6AF5-1C35-4B21-937F-AC6596390D0E_zpsddnjmsn0.jpg

F3CC1AAC-E943-4A93-B777-14FDAA24357E_zpsg7zbu64c.jpg

There are some conflicting post on biggest size and know it depends on your current wear. I have read some with 265/75 fit w/ just a tt-with rub on swaybar and inner fender in rear (fixed with zip ties) and maybe inner fender in front? I don't have to worry about the side cladding. It would also depend on tire/manufacture also.

Alright, this is what I'm thinking of doing in steps. Please correct me if I'm wrong or bad idea.
-Buy 265/75r16 (looking hard at Geolander a/t s load d)
4 corners sit like this (taken from ground to bottom fender in picture above. Note ground not 100% level, slopes in the front):
LF-33 3-8" RF-33 7/8"
LR-35" RR-35 1/2"
-So I wanted to tighten torsion bolt on driver side up 1/2" to level the front l & r. In lifting the LF 1/2" should lower the RR but will it be 1/2" to level the rear also. I'm thinking it will lower it but not the 1/2". Worn leaf springs due to tank/driver. If it gets close that's fine.
-after the front is level then tt some more. I was hoping an inch for both sides would clear enough room for the 265/75? At this point it would be 1.5" twist on LF and 1" twist on RF
-take new tires to mount/balance
-hope the tt earlier prevent majority of rub and zip tie inner fender if needed
-then get aligned
Enjoy as is until funds and time for aal if the rear has major sag after tt, i think in theory it would level front and rear. Was thinking of spacers but that would have to wait too.

To be honest with myself, I don't get a chance to off road, unless you count the dump run on occasion. But I would like to be able to if the chance arose. I do tow a 5x10 utility trailer on occasion (actually it's been awhile since I gave up landscaping for another career). In the last year, probably put less than 2-3k miles on her-down from the 10-12k. Just looking for assurance before I start buying that I'm on the right track or other things to consider.

Thanks for your time, I know that was rough

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update

Want to make sure it still is at stock height before I do a tt. Does this look level/stock? I'm guessing to look at the lower control arms in comparison to crossmember or is there another way to check
9881223F-362C-4A70-B1CD-ACFBBA112D41_zpsgm6ugnwz.jpg

I wanted to find the torsion bolts and have a look, does this look normal how they are backed out quite a bit
AC2F24AC-1327-4358-9E2F-80E50BC013DD_zpsx27deabl.jpg

I would recommend buying, mounting and installing THEN figuring out how much tt you need. Only lift as much as necessary.

I would recommend buying, mounting and installing THEN figuring out how much tt you need. Only lift as much as necessary.

You think it's "fit-able" with just a tt and to hold off on the aal. Would I be able to twist the driver side 1/2 higher than passenger to level it out without serious issues.

I know with. 4x4 we need to be careful on how high (no more than 1 3/4-2"). The only reason I was thinking of doing the tt before installing was fear of not being able to drive home to perform the tt. Approximately how many miles from a tt to get an alignment before you screw things up (I know sooner the better) but I probably won't be able to do everything in 1 day.

Yours was 1 of the ones that I enjoyed growing on the lifted photos thread, thanks

Offtrac your 1 yr and 2 yr anniversary pictures in your registry. Were those the same tires just different wheels? Is there anything else different about the 2 pics cause those black wheels make your tires look bigger. Is that also when you added the spacers cause they look like they stick out more too

Never mind the wheels probably did make the wheels stock out further- there not stock duh

No, that was when I switched from 265/75R16 tires on stock wheels with spacers to 35x12.5x17 without spacers on the front.

I did a torsion twist a day before a wheeling trip and nobody local could get me in for an alignment so I just went without the alignment. Total I drove about 100 with a 1.5" TT before getting an alignment and noticed no unusual wear on my new tires. I made a quick thread somewhere about this question because I was concerned like you are lol

When I first got my Trac, I put 31x10.5x15 tires on and they fit fine. Didn't have any clearance issues that I was aware of. I did the TT and AAL a couple weeks after the fact just to give myself a little more clearance for offroad activities. I think Offtrac gives you the best advice.

When I first got my Trac, I put 31x10.5x15 tires on and they fit fine. Didn't have any clearance issues that I was aware of. I did the TT and AAL a couple weeks after the fact just to give myself a little more clearance for offroad activities. I think Offtrac gives you the best advice.

The geolanders I've been looking at spec out at 31.9 and 10.7 that's almost an 1" difference. Hopefully I can get away with just the tt and nothing in the rear for the time being.

I did a torsion twist a day before a wheeling trip and nobody local could get me in for an alignment so I just went without the alignment. Total I drove about 100 with a 1.5" TT before getting an alignment and noticed no unusual wear on my new tires. I made a quick thread somewhere about this question because I was concerned like you are lol

That's good to know, I won't be going that long-I put about 10-20 miles a week. Was thinking it maybe a week between installed to alignment so I should be ok then

Is there any way of knowing if your torsion bolts have been twisted. Were your bolts stuck out like mine in post 2 before you did your tt? My only other concern is if I'll be able to raise the drivers side 1/2" more than passenger to level out as well. Or if there are reasons to raise both at the same height. The threads I read only mention when raising that you get good measurements and raise (I assume matching) but not 1 higher than the other

It's common that people adjust only one side, especially to fix the "Ranger Lean".

It's common that people adjust only one side, especially to fix the "Ranger Lean".

Alright, 1/2" seems like a lot to me so that will be nice to have leveled. Thanks

Maximum 16mm (.6 inch) front and 20mm (.78 inch) rear is within spec for vehicle lean. (Side to side differences)
https://www.scribd.com/doc/263561028/Suspension-System-8212-General-Information-Specifications

Measure front and rear ride height using this method and the specs linked above.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328290

I've seen that before- proper method to measure (not that thread thou). I pulled into the shop, as level ground as I'll get and checked tire pressure all tires and bounced suspension. Measurements did change but not by much. I couldn't get to the lip of the lca because it's in the wheel, so that measurement was taken opposite side of lower bj (so tape is perpendicular).

I am within spec for both front and rear. The front shows roughly 1/4" difference and rear is still 1/2" (which I attribute to the gas tank lean). I still may raise the drivers up that 1/4" more than the passenger to help minimize the difference from the rear.

My biggest concern at this point is if I didn't do the Tt before I get the tires mounted, then the possibility of rubbing (or worse) on the drive home. I know it's suggested only as much as you need and really the only way to tell is when there on but I'm using the stock wheels and don't have a spare set. So what I may do is lift front only an inch, for just in case. Hoping that would prevent at least any major rub and if I needed to adjust up more after then do that-thoughts?

I was even thinking of popping the wheels off so I can clean the inside, then have them put the weights there rather than on the lip (use metal tape for added hold/security) that way I can paint the stock wheels after and the weights won't be visible.

I don't see a problem with that plan. You'll probably go an inch anyway. I can't imagine you'll need much more than that if any but you won't regret an inch.

Alright, thank you. It really eases my mind

So I ordered the Geolandar a/t-s 265/75r16 load d just now. Will update as it comes, may have a few questions by then. Thanks for all your help so far

So I couldn't help myself

1D4A0C16-A35F-4BD4-AE28-79AB1DEC1564_zpsqc3wib3c.jpg

I'll have to try and get started on Saturday, if I don't have to work-Sunday's out of the question for Mother's Day. After doing more reading on a tt, it's best to lift the front off the ground to relieve suspension but my question is would you still put the jack stands on lca? Or some where else

Thanks for any insight

Update

I want to report back to make a record of the conclusion of this thread. To keep things simple I cheated on how I made my measurements (ground to fender lip with tape as center and level as possible). I 1st checked all tire pressure was equal left to right and bounced the suspension. My original measurements before anything:
FL-33 3/8+ FR-33 3/4+
RL-35+ RR-35 3/8+
I used a silver sharpie to mark half the bolt head and the cover? to know how many turns I've made. I 1st turned each bolt 4 full turns then dropped her down and took another measurement:
FL-34 3/4 FR-35 1/8
I gained an inch and 3/8, then I took a short drive down the road and back. My new measurement was:
FL-34 3/8 FR-34 3/4
So after it settled a little I gained an inch or 7/8 strong. I was doubting if it would be enough so I cranked the bolts 1 full turn to make a total of 5 turns and measured:
FL-34 7/8+ FR-35 1/4+
After another short drive and measured:
FL-34 1/2 FR-34 7/8
So I gained a total of 1 inch strong. I said wth and took it to the shop-Firestone (total 75$ with lifetime balance/rotation). Went back to take a final measurement with the new tires:
FL-35 5/8 FR-36+
RL-36 3/8 RR-36 3/4+
So I gained an 1" on the tt and 1 1/8" with the tires, total in front 2 1/8". I still have left to right lean of 3/8" (front and back) but I raised both bolts the same and said wth. The only rub I have is in the front on the sway bar (both sides) when lock to lock-i knew this before hand but no rub anywhere else (keep in mind my side cladding is off/staying off). And as far as the rear goes, I have slight rub on the right rear only-on the plastic fender well. I don't think I'll trim it but just drill a hole and use long zip tie to attach it to the frame, just to pull it back slightly.

2DBB1E0C-440C-4F3E-9821-3B7186404BD1_zpsbamzzygj.jpg

4894F729-0322-45B7-93AA-C9A7280A7046_zpsdrbbff5y.jpg

Doesn't look like a drastic change in the lca, it was only an inch.
6329A7DC-0D26-438D-BB8F-E943DB9371A6_zpsxum8qgri.jpg

How do the cv look to you on their angle? I stupidly didn't take a before of the cv to have better comparison-big dummy
8A25037F-A2C2-40A4-8AA4-E306C3746E01_zpsowjhieom.jpg

Overall I'm happy with the outcome and the fact I didn't raise the full max of 2". And not needing to do anything in the rear-which is still higher than the front by 3/4"- keeping a similar stance as stock, just not as drastic. I might have more rub if I were to off road-I'll try to find a big speed bump also to see if there is more rub but until then :thumbsup:

I'm also going to try and find my best tire pressure. I already marked all tire tread with a tire marker? and drove a couple full cycles and it wore in the middle-let some pressure out and repeat, seems even edge to edge but I'm going to want to double check later and save psi. The only thing left is an alignment. What would you say to 180$ for lifetime alignment? I'm thinking yes (I did the lifetime on balance/rotation for tires) but that's a chunk to swallow right away-I guess will pay off when I do uca and other work in the future.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back