Not Ready For Inspection : Sensors resetting during ignition turn off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Not Ready For Inspection : Sensors resetting during ignition turn off

Coffeyhouse61

Reaction score
City, State
Coastal NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
I'm a fairly new member to this forum. So far, I've been able to get help here on the "Acrid smell during acceleration" and "buzzing noise from windshield" TSB problems. This current problem has me stumped.

I have a 2011 Explorer LTD with 58k miles. Live in NC and have to get an annual inspection. Took it to a local inspection station, they turned it down due to "6 sensors not ready for inspection". I drove around a couple of days (200 miles) and took it back ... failed again ... same 6 sensors not ready for inspection. Took it to the dealer who did the work to fix the TSB work above. They kept it a day and told me the "not ready for inspection" problem just meant it needed to be driven awhile under various conditions (highway, city, stop and go ...etc). It has now been over 3000 miles! I hooked up my code reader and can see the 6 sensors not ready. I printed off the Ford Drive Cycle instructions, hooked up the monitor, and sat in the passenger seat while we drove around, following the instructions to the letter. Finally, all sensors were OK.

As soon as we got back home, turned off the ignition, pressed the ignition button without foot on the brake to go into accessory mode and watched the engine icon flash 8 times indicating not ready for inspection. I hooked up the monitor and saw 6 sensors not ready for inspection AGAIN!

So, we went back through the drive cycle again after waiting 8 hours for the Explorer to cool off. Saw the sensors all OK again. Got back home, disconnected the monitor, shut off the engine, checked the little engine indicator ... SAME RESULTS ... not ready for inspection.

It's like everything is resetting during shutdown. I even replaced the battery last week because one of the technicians at the dealer said he's seen a new battery fix the problem.

As of today, the Explorer is out of inspection and I can't get it registered without a valid inspection. I'll take it back to the dealer tomorrow but, thought I'd see if anyone here has seen this issue before.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Coffeyhouse61.:wavey:
I've been on here 3 years now and can say that this is the first time I've seen this issue. Perhaps others have had it but no one has posted it before.
I didn't even know there was such a thing. There are a few members here that have more mileage on their 2011 than you have but have not reported this issue. Unfortunately I have no answer for you other than to have the dealer look at it again. If you want, you can also send a private message to Crystal (FordService) one of the Ford reps on this Forun \m and see if she can assist in getting you in touch with the local Customer Service Manager. You can send a PM using this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
Include your name, daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealership info in your message.
Good luck and Happy New Year. :dpchug:

Peter

Peter, thanks for the welcome and advice! I've worked with Crystal before during her help with the TSBs. Good idea to involve her again.

One more thing .... Nice Shelties! My wife and I have one .... great dogs! They rule the roost!!

BTW ... I did see another person who said they had a similar problem to mine. No resolution posted on that thread.

Regards .... coffeyhouse61

I had this happen to me when I wanted to get emissions done. I put some injector cleaner in the car right before I went to get it done and I was told by the dealership it reset the sensors or something. After a week, I went back and did it and it was fine. So you're not the only one with resetting sensors.

...As of today, the Explorer is out of inspection and I can't get it registered without a valid inspection. I'll take it back to the dealer tomorrow but, thought I'd see if anyone here has seen this issue before...

Hi Coffeyhouse61,

I received your PM and responded; check out your inbox for my message. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Crystal,

Thanks for the reply and for escalating to the regional CSM. He called me after talking with the local dealership Service Manager. I also spoke with the local service manager. We dropped the Explorer off this morning for diagnosis and (hopefully) a clear state inspection.

I'll post the results here so others can benefit from the resolution.

Crystal,

Thanks for the reply and for escalating to the regional CSM. He called me after talking with the local dealership Service Manager. I also spoke with the local service manager. We dropped the Explorer off this morning for diagnosis and (hopefully) a clear state inspection.

I'll post the results here so others can benefit from the resolution.

Thanks for the update, Coffeyhouse61; I'm glad to see that things are progressing. You know how to reach me if you need any additional help. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Update: We dropped off the Explorer at the dealership a few days ago. The Service Manager drove it for over an hour with his OBDII diagnostic device and could not get any of the sensors to switch to a "Ready for Inspection" status. So, my wife and I picked it up and drove around, following the drive cycle instructions. After 15 mins or so, we were able to get all but 1 of the sensors in a "Ready" status. The lone exception was the EVAP because it requires the IAT to be between 40-100 degrees F. It was 28 degrees that day. NC allows 1 not ready sensor. So, we returned to the dealership and had the Service Manager run it through inspection without turning off the engine. Passed inspection! The Service Manager is contacting the regional CSM to discuss the next step of fixing the root cause. Something is causing the sensors to reset to Not Ready status upon engine shutdown. In the mean time, valid inspection and annual registration success!!

I'll post a final resolution here as soon as we have one.

Back