Not starting - speedometer / tachometer needles going crazy | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Not starting - speedometer / tachometer needles going crazy

Comptronic

Reaction score
City, State
NEW JERSEY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 2004 Ford Explorer. I drove my car home from work, out it in park, and then shut it off. I went inside for an hour and when I went to start it, nothing. I didn't leave any accessories on, didn't leave a door open, nothing.

When I tried to start it, only the airbag symbol in the bottom left corner of the instrument panel came on. When I took out the key from the ignition, my speedometer and tachometer needle started making ticking noises, and I realized they were actually shaking.

I did try to jump start it and nothing.

Anyone have any ideas?

I just replaced the battery on mine because for some reason it did what yours did and just kind of died. We tried to jump start it with 2 different cars and 2 different sets of cables, and while it got some power, it wouldent start; and once i took they cables off, the battery would be completely dead again once i tried to start it. Why i think your gauges are clicking is because that they are trying to do the little thing when you put a new power source on, where they max out for a second; and maybe they're trying to max out and just dont have enough power, and the clicking is the power going to the gauges in little bursts. Dont have any fixes though, as i just bought a new battery. Hope this helped in some way.

Sounds like a dead battery. It is dead battery season after all :) The instrument cluster and PATS system do all sorts of crazy things when they aren't getting a high enough voltage. When the original battery in my Mounty went, it was fine that morning and then stone cold dead and non-jumpable that afternoon. The battery symbol on the cluster never lit up prior, and the voltometer dummy gauge never moved from it's usual spot. What's the point of a dummy gauge anyways? Thanks, Ford.

Thank you for your replies. It turns out I needed a new battery. Thanks again.

Back