• Register Today It's free!

Not starting

91xplorer23

Reaction score
City, State
kirkland,wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xplorer XLT
So I went over a speed bump in safeway, and my 91 xplorer died!!!!!
it turns over there is spark but it will not statr, i am guessing it is fuel problem. can someone tell where the fuel pump relay is located, the fuel filter and the fuel pump. have tried to search online, but i cant find anything
thank You

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

stopped at stop sign and died

my 92 ford explorer 2wd died when i stopped art a stop sign and now wont start did this before and i tried to start it a couple of hours later and it started does any body know whats wrong

Sounds like the inertia switched got tripped. Pull back the carpeting front passenger side. You will see a switch located on the firewall close to the tranny hump. Press that and try starting. Also make sure the wires going into the switch are seated properly. They have a tendancy to work themselves loose.

Fuel pump relay is under the hood in a black box on the passenger side. When you take the cover off, there should be a legend inside as to what relay controls what.

Good luck, I think it's your inertia switch and not the relay, but you never know.

may be a simple battery issue. Bad cables can cause this issue. Ex cables are famous for rotting internally. Other possible problems are, as you suggested, fuel pump, or relay. The fuel pump relay is under the power distribution box, which is on the passenger side under the hood mounted behind the battery. Their are 3 relays underneath, and the fuel pump relay is the one furthest from the front of vehicle\battery. A real pain to get to! I must stress that if you need to replace this relay to buy a motorcraft replacement. Aftermarket chinese relay's (sold at schucks, autozone, etc...) do not last.

do you hear the fuel pump when you turn the key on? If not, try disconnecting and cleaning the battery cables.

I smell fuel, when reset that button i smell fuel, but it wont start, how do i test the relay, and where is at???

how do i test the relay, and where is at???

from an EARLIER post:
Fuel pump relay is under the hood in a black box on the passenger side. When you take the cover off, there should be a legend inside as to what relay controls what.

Test the relay with a multimeter or test light.

Are you sure you got the inertia switch connected and reset correctly? It really sounds like that's your problem. That, or the bump bounced a loose battery terminal completely off.

You must have nailed the hell outa that speed bump.

Also: If you smell fuel, but don't see a puddle, why are you testing the fuel. It smells like it's working fine to me. Why don't you test the spark?

Back