Notched Cross Pin Shaft with Lockrite Power Trax? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Notched Cross Pin Shaft with Lockrite Power Trax?

robmurt04

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 4WD
Do you need to notch the cross pin shaft when using a Lockrite Power Trax to replace to spider gears (I'm installing 4.56:1 Yukons)

If so, I read that you can grind a little bit off the teeth of the pinion for it to work? Is there a write up on this anywhere? Thanks

Yes, grind the ring gear.
This shouldn't affect gear strength (the pinion doesn't make any contact right at the tips of the teeth). Notched pins on the other hand are known to break occasionally (drop-in lockers sometimes don't work all that well with them anyway).

On mine, I used a Dremel with one of those little cut-off discs (also a shop-vac hose held right next to it to keep the debris from getting everywhere) and removed JUST enough off the tips of two teeth to allow a solid pin to slide past the ring gear.

Don't grind the cross pin, grind the gear as mentioned above. The area of the gear you grind does not contact the pinion. If you grind the cross shaft, it can cause engagement problems. I ran my 94 Explorer on 4.56's and we ground the gear slightly to put my Powertrax in. Never had any problems with it.

Back