NOTE: Aluminum tall valve covers do not work... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

NOTE: Aluminum tall valve covers do not work...

...with my headers. :(

I picked up a set of aluminum valve covers that tmsoko had laying around his garage. I knew in order to get them to fit I would need to massage them around the alternator area. Well, I didn't even get that far.

Just from looking at my setup, I could tell the passenger side wasn't going to fit because of the EGR bung on my headers. But, I figured that could be removed and sealed up if necessary. The driver's side looked like it had a decent chance of working (and this is my problematic side with the rockers vs valve cover contact).. so I tore the motor down and removed the one side.

Well.. lets just say that I could reroute my fuel lines (problem #1) and the fat AC line that runs across the front of the motor (problem #2)... the valve cover would still contact the headers on that side. :(

Some pics:

Attachments

• v01.jpg
    v01.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 469
  • v02.jpg
    v02.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 496
  • v03.jpg
    v03.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 474

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pardon the messy engine bay.

That is pretty much it. I just wanted to post in the Need For Speed forum. :p

Attachments

• v04.jpg
    v04.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 462
  • v05.jpg
    v05.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 455
  • v06.jpg
    v06.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 469

WEll I have the 1'' spacer, Removed EGR and FMS headers... What are my chances?

Well if you can get past the AC and the fuel line (both would be fairly easy), the FMS headers don't really rise above the exhaust ports on the head much. So you should be okay there. The next thing would be the heater box dealio. In picture #3. It would be closer to the valve cover without a body lift. I think the best thing to do would be to look at your motor and see if you could have taller covers. :confused: :p

Just by eyeballing it, there is no way for them to clear the heater box without a bodylift.

james t said:
Just by eyeballing it, there is no way for them to clear the heater box without a bodylift.

When I take my body lift out in the next couple months.. I'm going to really look into finding a way to get make that heater box smaller.. or move it.. or totally get rid of it. :fire: It's nothin but problems! :)

ChopinOn22s said:
Nice headers, rich jerk :(

Hey.. who is the one with the charger already!? :p

Back