Noticed my driver side wheel hub starting to wobble, Rockauto only shows for 4x4 and NOT for 2WD. Are they the same part? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Noticed my driver side wheel hub starting to wobble, Rockauto only shows for 4x4 and NOT for 2WD. Are they the same part?

ExplorerDude33

Reaction score
City, State
Sky valley, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 ford explorer xlt v8
part number given ends in 515003

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Front? No, hubs are not the same, not even close

Thanks, saw those then decided to just replace the whole hub. Thing is...2wd is not listed. Only 4wd;awd. Checked on ebay and cross referenced the model number but search result pointed to a 4wd hub. Ebays "see if it will fit" said it did for my application, but Those have been wrong. Seller cannot guarantee it will fit 2wd. 😬

2 wheel drive front have pairs of old school tapered bearings that ride in the rotor.

Best bet is to buy new rotors (they usually have the races already pressed in), the tapered bearing sets, and some moly grease. Easy to replace, the hardest part is getting the preload right on the axle nut. It should *NOT* be tight (your bearings will melt), but it shouldn't be loose either (your wheel will wobble).

If your bearings are newish, and you don't see anything bad in the grease, you might try snugging the nut up first.

AS @RickOTR pointed out Rockauto lists them under "WHEEL BEARING"
not wheel bearing and hub

Since you are RWD the wheel bearings are not one with the hub (often called a unit bearing) instead you have traditional style spindle and bearings

That really cleared things up! 🙏

2 wheel drive front have pairs of old school tapered bearings that ride in the rotor.

Best bet is to buy new rotors (they usually have the races already pressed in), the tapered bearing sets, and some moly grease. Easy to replace, the hardest part is getting the preload right on the axle nut. It should *NOT* be tight (your bearings will melt), but it shouldn't be loose either (your wheel will wobble).

If your bearings are newish, and you don't see anything bad in the grease, you might try snugging the nut up first.

This is correct. To find the Timken part numbers go to Timken Online Parts Catalog

1A video is fine but I do not recommend 1A parts. I bought hub bearings from them once. Had to replace them after a month because of howling. 1A was no help and refused to refund me for the parts.

good looking out, I mostly buy from rock auto and choose more known name brand.

IMG_20201025_081133.jpg

Back