• Register Today It's free!

Now the brakes

cgbier

Reaction score
City, State
Saipan
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Mazda Navajo
Got the coolant leak fixed and it runs lovely now. However, it doesn't stop.

Took it out for its first spin after the repair. When I stepped on the brakes, the pedal fell through to the firewall. I have a tiny bit of break power left over. Just enough to limp back home with it.

It leaks brake fluid while braking, and makes a hissing noise like a bicycle pump when I step the pedal. No sign of brake fluid leak anywhere.

My guess: master cylinder AND booster. What do you think?

Is there a way to bleed the master without the special tool (anti lock brake-equipped - it even works sometimes)? Our Ford shop can't find theirs anymore?

Got a well-maintained late 90's Cherokee for 500 bucks (ECM shot) in my sights...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is there evidence of fluid I the ground?

Bleeding the master cylinder isn't an issue, it's the abs unit that is.

Found the leak. It is the line from the rear left wheel to the differential.

But even though: Shouldn't I still get some vacuum on the booster?

When you press down, the fluid just spews out instead of applying hydraulic pressure. Keep the master cylinder full so air doesn't get into the ABS unit.

Too late. That sucker ran empty when I limped home.

One way to bleed the abs, find a gravel road, brake hard so the abs engages, have a buddy jump out, bleed the brakes a bit and repeat.

Another way to bleed the RABS unit is to tap it with a rubber mallet as the brakes are being pumped. That solved my spongy brakes after replacing MC and booster on my truck. Bleeding is a ***** and takes some time and patience.

Back