• Register Today It's free!

Now what? OD flashing

spitfisher

Reaction score
City, State
New England
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
Not your typical OD flashing question....

Yeah its flashing, explorer runs fine, feels fine. I brought into the dealer and they hooked it up to the hand held, the hand held was working fine but could ot communicate with the explorer, no worries, come back during the week and we have another tool for data communication and flat codes. Well I just came back and it couldn't communicate either?

Cold the flashing OD actually be flashing to tell us that there is no communication or are there just certain failures / faults that it records or warns about with the tranny?

1995 explorer XLT 4wd, in great shape, no rust, underneath ain't bad either.

Let me know what you think!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Transmission fault...you could have a problem with the test port.

Accelerate at minimum throttle up to cruising speed of about 55mph, watching the tachometer as it tells you of each shift as it occurs. After speed levels off, increase pressure VERY SLIGHTLY on the gas pedal, just enough to feel a slight increase in speed begin to happen. If the tach needle does not hold steady, but rather goes up several hundred rpms, the torque converter clutch has NOT ENGAGED. This condition will cause a decrease in fuel economy of several %. imp

Accelerate at minimum throttle up to cruising speed of about 55mph, watching the tachometer as it tells you of each shift as it occurs. After speed levels off, increase pressure VERY SLIGHTLY on the gas pedal, just enough to feel a slight increase in speed begin to happen. If the tach needle does not hold steady, but rather goes up several hundred rpms, the torque converter clutch has NOT ENGAGED. This condition will cause a decrease in fuel economy of several %. imp

My 98 V8 has 120K on the meter and the transmission was replaced with a rebuilt one from Ford at about 70K. Recently I noticed some odd behavior. If I press the gas pedal either from a stop or when it is running at 15 to 30 mph, sometimes the engine suddenly runs at 3K to 2.5K rpm. If I don't pull foot back from the gas pedal, one second later the engine return back to normal like 2K rpm. If I pull the foot back and press the gas pedal again, it will run normally. Does this match your description of torque converter clutch not engaged? If yes, any issue to just let it be?

My 98 V8 has 120K on the meter and the transmission was replaced with a rebuilt one from Ford at about 70K. Recently I noticed some odd behavior. If I press the gas pedal either from a stop or when it is running at 15 to 30 mph, sometimes the engine suddenly runs at 3K to 2.5K rpm. If I don't pull foot back from the gas pedal, one second later the engine return back to normal like 2K rpm. If I pull the foot back and press the gas pedal again, it will run normally. Does this match your description of torque converter clutch not engaged? If yes, any issue to just let it be?

No. When TCC is engaged, slight increase in gas pedal pressure will shop up as rpm increase of small amount, a few hundred rpms at most. Further, the TCC is never brought into engagement until the vehicle is pretty well up to speed. My gen 3 locks it ion ONLY after top gear (5th) is achieved. Some here claim gen 2 locks it in sooner, but I have my doubts, and cannot say for certain.

Sounds like you have some other kind of slippage problem. imp

The dealer took it for a ride and couldn't get any codes or faults out of it, like I said it seems to be driving fine.

Just got word they can't get the light to come on now- maybe a false alarm or short

Back