np 203 transfer case swap and need a vss source | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

np 203 transfer case swap and need a vss source

thezman

Reaction score
City, State
eveleth, minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 explorer
My swap.... 1996 explorer 5.0 with tranny into 1985 ranger body. Shame on me but I read somewhere that the vss signal is on the rear of the 4r70 tranny... it appears to be on the back of the transfer case which I am not using. I have a dual case setup, 205-203 twinsticked. Did I read in the forums somewhere that someone added the sensor to the back of the np203 somehow. We need a signal for the computer. Also, I am under the impression that I can eliminate my catalytic converters along with the oxy sensors downstream and the egr will still operate as long as the two upstream sensors are in. I also read somewhere that I can add a resistor and send the proper voltage to those 2 downstream sensors to eliminate a check engine light and codes associated. Any thoughts? Update.... found an external pulse generator thru Dakota Digital which is a magnet kit that goes on the drive shaft for the vss signal,however, the tech needs to know the signal the computer is looking for which will determine how many magnets I need to install on the shaft. Does anyone know the signal needed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am a bit confused on the location others are referring to... some say the signal comes from the rear of the tranny on the 4r70w transmission..... do they mean the rear of the transfer case? That is where mine comes from. Probably no different in the signal ppm. However to update I read in one of the forums that the signal is a 3,000 ppm from that sensor. IS THIS CORRECT? ANYONE?

I also read that someone tried to use the sensor on the rear differential and said this is the wrong signal as I think it is for the speedometer and cruise. I guess I might get enlightened when I reciever my haynes manual ordered 2 weeks ago.

If the transfer case won't support a VSS, consider using the ABS module and G-Force sensor from a '98 - '01 Explorer and add the wiring between the two.

The.later ABS modules DO use the ABS wheel/axle sensors to calc and generate the same speed signal as the VSS.

No need to open up the hydraulics, just need to swap the electrical half of the ABS unit.

I always thought it was a speedo gear in the 4r70w trans on the pre 98's, not the transfer case.
My truck is a 2000, so it has the rear diff sensor. Makes it hard for me to be completely helpful. I do know that when I switched from the AWD transfer case to the 4406 there was no wiring at all to do.

To my knowledge, RBV's have always used the transmission for 2wd and transfer case for 4wd (prior to switching to the rear axle, that is). If you did it in the trans on a 4wd, how would you get speed data in low range?

I’d assume the speed would come off of an output shaft rpm, which would be uneffected by high/low.

Think through that again. At a given road speed, transmission output shaft speed will be 2.48 times higher in low range than in high range.

I Was thinking transfer case. In any case if it were factory through the transmission the PCM, or whatever computer processes it, could do the simple math. I was under the impression it was either t-case or rear diff mounted depending on year.

I have the sensor in the differential also so wtf.....there are a bunch of wires to the transfer case and maybe the computer compensates for low range.....which would mean I would really screwed trying to use the tranny without the 4404 to go with it, I will check with the haynes manual when it comes in to see if there is just one source for speed. I wish I knew this before I bought the donor.......I was told it came off the tail of the tranny,,,,,,no problem that way. If I could get close to what the signal should be it will upshift,,,,,,without any signal it won't upshift I am told........the vehicle is off-road use so it will not be such a big deal .........maybe. I wonder if I could use the computer I have...... f150 1989 brand....use the c5 which has the throttle cable to the tranny? I don't know the difference in the sensors between the two. That will take some research on my part...... this whole problem came to play because of the high intake. Can I just put the lower of the two intakes on my existing motor and use the same computer? So many questions. I have to apologize as I had a bad accident and suffered a major traumatic brain injury and sometimes I babble on too much. I had to retire because of the accident, no more flying planes or running a crane which used to be my two favorite things to do.

Sorry about the accident. I think we all babble sometimes.
Yes, you can swap intakes with no issue. Use the lower one.

check Nevada speedometer you'll have to look it up in internet they can help you. the 205 transfer case should the back one and if you have a vss in the old transfer case and it is a ford it should fit about 3/4 hole in tailshaft housing in back of transfer case.
roscoe

Sorry to dig up an old thread, I'm doing it on a few VSS threads. Just looking to see if any one with the gear driven t-case mounted VSS has found a conversion or something to replace or repair the inside / drive gear. I really don't want to rip into the t-case but if I have to, I guess I will. Or will pay some one else to. I just gotta find a new drive gear some where. I had read about Denver Speedometer some where else also. I wonder if they can provide some kind of conversion so I don't have to rip apart the t-case.

Back