NP435 in your explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

NP435 in your explorer

Just talked to to advance adapters about putting an np435 into the ranger behind the 2.8 2.9 4.0 motors. They said they make nothing right now cause they haven't had much of a demand. If they had enough interested in doing something this they may be willing to do it. Said they need atleast 5 people to do it. Probably cost 3-400 dollers for the adpater. This is just to put it up to the motor you would have to figure out your own way to put a tcase on it. Probably a dana 20 or atlas on the back. Anyone interested in this that is willing to put the money up on this. They are about 2 hours from me so I can go by and see them in person and maybe use my truck for measurements

Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Np435 is a 4speed manual first gear is 6.69 3.34 1.79 1.00 No over drive on the tranny.

Just give an idea of cost here is what I found

Adapter 3-400 advance adapter
Tranny 200 junkyard
dana 20 250 junkyard
dana20 np435 adapter 250 bcbroncos
driveshafts 400
tranny cross member 25 and a few hours.

Looking around 1500 or so for what it would cost you do do this upgrade here is a look at some crawl ratios.

An Atlas runs 1800 plus driveshafts and all the other little costs.

My truck now

3.96 1st gear 2.48 t case 4.10 axle = 40.26

With atlas II

3.96 x 4.3 x 4.10 = 69.82

Setup above

6.69 x 2.48 x 4.10 = 68.02

np435 with atlas II

6.69 x 4.3 x 4.10 = 117.95

Just some numbers to play with. This will get you pretty much where you would be with the atlas but you would have a tranny that is just about impossible to break and a fairly strong t case as well. In addituion to this there are multiple crawler baxes that can be put between this tranny and tcase to get you as low as you need to go. Also did I mention that if you ever want to do a 302 swap down the road you will already have a transmission and tcase to hold up to it. Just get a junkyard bell housing and you are ready for it to go in.

Matt

The NP435 is pretty dang bullet proof. The one and only downfall it seems to have is no overdrive. Which is no biggie on a trail only rig. I accually hope to get one of these someday. :D Just am not sure if its worth the trouble to mate it to the 4.0 or just get a V8. :)

Originally posted by rpenner54
Just am not sure if its worth the trouble to mate it to the 4.0 or just get a V8. :)

Look at it this way. The tranny t case and adapter you would have to buy anyway to do the swap. the only part you wouldn't have to buy this way is the adapter. Figure you are going to do the motow swap 2 years down the road. That adapter will cost you $.54 a day Say you sell it for 200 at the end that gets yo in for around a quater a day to have a bulit proof tranny and t case. So instead of sending that change to the starving kid in a 3rd world country buy an andapter have a blast crawling away for 2 years till you get the 302.

Matt

Damn, Matt! Did you finish school already?!? It seems like you got your degree in Sales!!!;)

doesn't this transmission come in a five-speed version also?

The NP435 is a strong transmission but it is old. You may find one in the junkyard but it will require a rebuild.

If one of your options is the AtlasII transfer case with the NP435, the why not consider the NV4500 transmission with a Dana 20 transfercase. Later on you can add the 4 to 1 kit for the Dana 20 and you have a good trail/rock rig and a good hy-way rig.

The NV4500 is a 5-speed OD Manual transmission with w 5.61 first; some have a 6.31 first, and a .74 Overdrive. Sort of the best of both worlds and it is a strong transmission.

A new NV4500 is approx. $2000 but there must be some in the bone yard by now.

Just some food for thought!

Originally posted by Jason_25
doesn't this transmission come in a five-speed version also?

Nope... :D Its a 4 speed with a granny first. The only other tranny that compares is the NV4500 which is a big 5-speed tranny with a granny first and an overdrive. Its also considered bullet proof.

Matt:

I would get it now, but I got no bucks for a while. It will be at least 6 months before I can think about spending that kind of money. I am all over what you said though. I am guessing you saw my post over at PBB too then eh? :D If I do swap to a V8 I will probably be skipping the 302 and just going to the 351. :D Power is my friend...

I would be interested if it was the NV4500. My ranger is a daily driver, so I need the OD. At 113k my syncro's are getting tight and I know I need to do something soon.

rpenner

your post on POR got me thinking about it and then some one posted it was available so I called advance and it wasn't.

RangerX

Not done with school yet eather May or next december but I am using som of the stuff from my classes in this thread :) So Can I sign you up for two of them :D

As Far as the no overdrive problem and being a daily driver,

My truck also falls into this catagory. I drive it typically 25-30000 miles a year as well. If I do this swap I am planning on just putting bigger tires:D on it to drop the rpms on the road.

Why not a NV4500?

Cause you will be lucky if you can find one for under $1000. I can buy at least 5 NP435 for that price new seal and bearing kit is about $100 for an NP435 and from what I heard not to hard to rebuild with basic tools. :)

For all of you interested about this send me an email and I will set up a list in my adress book to send any info out I find out. offroader3@juno.com

Also One more thing to think about. If you do this swap before you blow up your tranny or t case you can sell them probabaly for 500. To off set the cost. Some one on another page said my prices are pretty high as well for the swap. He figured it could be done for under 1000 then sell what you got you could do if for $500. No more smoke clutch smell anymore:D

Matt

Why not just buy a 351 and put the zf fivespeed and t-case out of a f250 w/ granny low?

Originally posted by HIX
Why not just buy a 351 and put the zf fivespeed and t-case out of a f250 w/ granny low?

Well since I am still in dream world on that one I guess I will see what I end up doing. One way or another it will get something done to it. :D

The best part is you could buy it all connected out of a truck and not have to worry about all this adapter shtuff

Back