nssj2's SAS 5.0 Build | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

nssj2's SAS 5.0 Build

Here goes nothing. Time to get rid of the IFS and go soild. Just picked up the Dana 44 yesterday, so I guess I'm allowed to start my thread. The planning thread is here. I'm hoping to have this wrapped up in a month or so, and I'm sorry in advance for the newbie questions lol.

So this is what's going down.
97 Mountaineer 5.0 w/ 4406

Front:
79 HP Dana 44 FW, 4.56 gears, Superior chrome moly axles and soild ujoints, warn premium hubs, tbird calipers
Wild Horses 12" Extended radius arms, 4* bushings (need 7*)
6" Deaver Coils
12" travel procomp 9000 shocks
93 Toyota IFS Steering box
79 Bronco tie rods
Track bar from BC broncos
2010 Jeep Wrangler drag link
mystery pitman arm
94 aerostar steering intermediate shaft, lengthened 4"

Rear:
94 Ford 8.8, 4.56, aussie locked
SOA
4" superlift springs
explorer disc brakes
87 jeep cj7 rotors

Tires: 35x12.5 Goodyear MTR's
Wheels: American racing black classic
And a couple pics, of course.
001.jpg

002.jpg

Stay tuned!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are steel plugs. They function similar to a structural steel rivet from back in the day.

I was close lol. Right idea wrong material

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

If you have the axle out might as well burn a bead on the tubes. Cant hurt for a little extra insurance. I need to do the same thing on my truck.

A much needed update. I'll just let the pictures talk

009-2.jpg

007-3.jpg

002-3.jpg

003-3.jpg

005-3.jpg

008-2.jpg

FINALLY!!! She's a fighter though, down to the last second. The discharged battery, plus a couple stubborn u-joints are all that is keeping her from leaving the garage. Oh, and about 10 psi :D. Now what to do with that awkward brake line....

Awesome! Do you plan to eventually move the shock mount from the top of the leafs to the axle to allow a longer shock?

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you......
003-4.jpg

THE BEAST LIVES!!!!!!!
002-4.jpg

001-4.jpg

Pictures do not do this rig justice. Nor does flexing on a curb lol, but make do with what ya got. Soon as I finish the front shock mount, and find my new tags..... it will be road worthy. And no, I don't want to move the rear shocks, as they the ones I have are the correct lengths for droop and compression.

Effing word :cool:

CONGRATS MAN!!! i have been watching this thread from the beginning and it looks great man you did an outstanding job looks shaweeettt!!!:thumbsup::salute:

i love the side exaust where did you get that??? you make it??

Looks good, makes me wanna go full witdh 1 tons on my v8 Explorer

You did it! Congrats! :party:

Were going need some pics of it on the trails now you know, showing the front flex :D

Any plans to trade the Tupperware in for some steel?

Oh hey, can you get down to Smorr for Halloween now?

Congrats! :D That turned out AWESOME! Exactly how I want mine to look but with 4.88 gears and 37's being the only diff. Bet your smiling about the truck now.

Oh that is so good to see. Fine work there Jim. !!!

Psssst. I know a guy who has a set of sliders that will bolt right on there for ya.

Oh that is so good to see. Fine work there Jim. !!!

Psssst. I know a guy who has a set of sliders that will bolt right on there for ya.

Take him up on that one! I designed mine after his and mountygreen's and they are rock solid!

Jim-Im eager to see more pics and updates as well!! Great Work!!

Wow, been a minute since I've updated. With not a lot of free time, I've just been hammering out some details. The truck runs awesome. Minimal bump steer. I have a few minor things such as tire clearance to resolve. Finally got Turdle's sliders installed, as well as a front hitch. Here's a quick snapshot after some fishing.

x1fib.jpg

This thing will go over almost anything I point it at now. So much fun :D

Back