Numeric keyless entry (Number pad) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Numeric keyless entry (Number pad)

PPro

Reaction score
City, State
Whitmore Lake, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Sport
I bought a used 00 X recently, and the owner said they never used the keypad on the door to unlock it. Of course, it also didnt come with a manual ( :mad: ), so I have no clue how to reset the pad to enter the code I want.

Anybody know how?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can find the code in the back compartment where the lugnut wrench and jack are. Look towards the front of the vehicle and there will be a box with the code for the keypad on it.

..and if it's not there...I've heard it can be found behind the glove box on some model years.

Jordan23

On a 2000, it is more than likley under the dash, the dealer said on most 98 or 99's and above its under the dash. Mine was in the back, but mine is a 96.

I've heard in the jack box, but I couldnt find it there. Prob under the dash, thanks.

How do I program is to my own code?

I have a 98 Sport and mine was in the jack compartment. You have to look way in towards the front for it. You will for sure need a flashlight to see it. The way you set a new code is to type in the factory set code, then i think you type yours in after or something like that. It will tell you how to do it in your owners manual, but you have to have the factory set code to do it.

PPro said:
Of course, it also didnt come with a manual ( :mad: ), so I have no clue how to reset the pad to enter the code I want.

Thats my problem.

I looked under the dash for about 15min yesterday, and I couldnt find it. Ill take a flashlight to the jack compartment today.

After I find it, does anyone know how to reset it to my own code?

PPRO,
If it's not in the jack compartment (WAY up towards the back seats) It will be under the top of the dash. You have to pry up the black plastic carefully. (Where the defrost vents are on top.) Above the glove box. Once you get it up (HA) look thru the windshield with a flashlight and you will see a box with the decal on it. It is at an angle, so you'll have to have your head laying on the hood to see it. I could only read the first few #'s on mine and had to guess the final 2, but all is good now. Once you have the factory code (5 digits) Enter the fact. code, within 5 sec. push the '1-2' button and enter your new 5 digit code. Thats it! The fact. code will ALWAYS work. Also after you unlock your door with the code, you can push 3-4 (I believe) and it will open the other door locks as well. The 9-0 button will lock all doors for you. Let us know!
MCTOY

Damn, I didnt know the keypad required rocket science to find it. Why couldnt they just put it inside the glove box or something?

I dunno when Ill have time to rip my dash apart to find it, but when I do I'll post back with results.

if it is not on the steering column, then you have to look in the compartment by the jack. You need a flashlight and look as far up as you can. Good luck.

if you disconnect the battery, your personal code will be erased and you will need to revert back to the factory code to set your new one again.

Thats great information......if I knew the factory code.

Back