O/D light blinking, check engine light blinking, burning smell.. PLEASE HELP!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

O/D light blinking, check engine light blinking, burning smell.. PLEASE HELP!!

Victr55

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Exploreer
Hello y'all, im not much of a car junkie so i have no idea whats going on with my car

I have a 1996 Ford Explorer & about 3 weeks ago i went on a 600-800 mile trip about 3 weeks ago & suddenly the O/D light starts flashing; i got really worried since i was in the middle of no where but eventually it stopped and i completed my trip. Ever since then it would occasionally flash but since i'm a young college student, i have no money to get it checked; let alone repair it.

About 5 days ago i was driving home when it started blinking ago; i disregarded it but then i smelled a burning smell & that got me really worried. I let it go but the next day the same thing happened; 5 minutes into driving and i could smell a burning smell. 2 days ago i was driving when both the check engine light and the O/D light start flashing. The check engine light stops within seconds but the O/D light kept flashing. Immediately i started smelling the burning smell. Today as i was driving, the same thing happened. Suddenly my Door Ajar light starts blinking and making the noise, as well as lock the doors. Fortunately, that stops within seconds.

Im so scared right about now because this is my only means of transportation at the moment. Most importantly i use it to get to work and without it i could lose my job. I wouldn't have much money to buy another car for the next 3-4 months.

Does anyone have any idea at all what it can be ? is a really dangerous driving like that and smelling those fumes? how much longer can i drive it till it fully gives up on me ? As long as it last me another 3 weeks i would be okay, but as of now i cant do it. I don't have the money to pay a mechanic all kinds of money

ANYTHING HELPS!!!!

The first thing you will want to know is what trouble codes your vehicle has stored in the computer, you should be able to find a parts store or a shop that can retrieve the codes with a decent scanner. Once you have the codes you will know if it could be a big problem or a minor one.

By the description of your problem I would guess the problem will be with the converter and overheating, these conditions with that transmission just about always ends up with a major repair to the transmission. Continuing to drive the vehicle can cause further damage to components of the transmission and may cost more in parts in the long run, so get it checked out as soon as possible. It could completely quit moving at any time so drive it as little as possible and stay off the highway for any length of time.

Keep the transmission full of fluid and check all other fluids as well something might be leaking on the exhaust and could catch fire. I would have a shop look over the entire vehicle, if there are other issues going on it may be time to make decision about keeping it.

I dont know whats going on with your door and lock situation, I wouldn't think it's related to the transmission problem

Back