O/D light blinking on 1995 4wd Explorer 4.0 ohv auto. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

O/D light blinking on 1995 4wd Explorer 4.0 ohv auto.

dani9678

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer 4wd 4.0
The O/D light began flashing again after I performed a transmission fluid and filter change. I also added an external inline Magnafine filter. I did this about 3 months ago. Before then, it was coming on about once a week after each reset of the computer. Since the service, the light didn't come back on for 3 months until last week. I reset the computer and it did good until a week later and then it came back on and went into fail safe mode. I pulled the following codes. "639= Insufficient turbine speed sensor input" and "647= Incorrect gear ratio obtained for third gear." I found an old thread relating to the O/D light. Here it is.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127110&highlight=TSB+98-15-06

It is the last post on the thread.

When I dropped the pan, I didn't find any debris other then a small amount of metal powder that was attracted to the magnet. The screen looked good also. I went ahead and replaced it anyway. What do you think about the TSB that is mentioned in the link in regards to the updated ECU? I remember reading another post on a thread that they said that the updated ECU was a recalibration to the clutch slippage tolerance that is allowed before the O/D light is triggered. They said that a lot of the explorers that were getting up in mileage had been getting the O/D light flash and found that Ford had programmed the ECU slippage tolerances too close together causing a premature code to be thrown.

Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anybody here replaced their ECU with the updated version as mentioned in the link of the TSB that I posted above?

8 days have passed since I reset the ECU and now the O/D light has come on again. This time it is only giving the 647 code which is "Incorrect gear ratio obtained for third gear. The ECU is the following: F5TF-12A650-ARB.
If I'm not mistaken, I believe that this is not the revised ECU as per TSB 98-15-06. What do I look for when searching for the revised ECU? what the TSB is listing is a bit confusing to me.

Wow, 80 views and no responses.

Yeah, my OD light starts flashing on my 95 about every 6 months. When it's flashing, it also goes into limp mode which results in hard trans shifts. The first time it happened, I pulled the codes and also got the 647 code. Took it to AAMCO (bad idea) and they told me I needed a rebuild estimated at $1700-2200. At this point, I just reset the codes when it comes on and I'm good for another 6 months or so.

My 2000 Ford Explorer had transmission oil change and filter flush because it wasn't shifting properly. It is at 219,000km. Now the flashing light keeps coming on saying no o/d. It is still not shifting properly. What next? I guess I might be person #81 as this sounds like the ssame situation as in the previous posts in this thread. Anyone???

I have had the O/D light on mine when the trans gets hot. Goes into limp mode, and I reset it. This started happening to me last fall when I was at Moab. Didn't happen again till a few weeks back, then I couldn't go 60 miles without it coming back on. I have chosen to get rid of the 4R and go M5OD.

I have almost the same part # on my ECU as yours. Mine is...F5TF-12A650-ARC. Now I don't know what all that means except the "F" is for Federal, meaning everywhere but California.

I hope you get it figured out, as I have given up, and am moving on.

Good luck.

Well, I hope you have better luck with that, as mine is the 5 spd with OD.

PCM APPLICATION
Old Calibration Old Part Number (-12A650-) New Calibration New Part Number (-12A650-)
5-58B-R10 F5TF-ARC 5-58B-R10 F5PF-BRA
5-58R-R10 F5TF-ATC 5-58R-R10 F5PF-BSA

The above is confusing me because it looks as if it says that the old and new calibrations have 12A650 listed in both and the two rows below that look like four different calibrations. I want to get the newer one but not sure which. I don't know if there is a difference for 4wd and 2wd or what.

Matt

Mine has been flashing for 6 years, ever since I got it rebuilt. The guy who rebuilt it couldn't figure it out, no codes are thrown, and I'm NOT paying Ford $200 to run a diagnostic. Trans has run flawlessly. Just one of those things....*Shrug*

I bought my '96 EB from a friend who lives in a small town and it doesn't take long to get anywhere. I live in a big city and shortly after I got it home, the O/D OFF light started coming on. I got code P0731, incorrect gear. It wouldn't always drop into low gear at stops so I was starting out in second gear.
I changed the fluid and screen as a starting point. It seemed to keep the light from coming on for a while but it still didn't drop into low at stops all the time. I ended up changing the fluid a couple more times and adding a bottle of Lucas Trans Fix each time. It works very well now. On a rare occasion it will not drop into low but it does almost all the time now. And it shifts smoothly and positively.
I didn't want to spend the kind of money for a rebuilt trans that would be required so I figured I didn't have anything to lose by using an additive. I've never been a fan of additives but Lucas has a pretty good reputation. I might have spent about $100 dollars between trans fluid and the additive and screen over time but the result was worth it.
Give it a try and see what happens. If you aren't getting any kind of accumulation in the pan other than fine particles, this might work for you. It wouldn't take much to interfere with the movement of a valve in the valve body or in a solenoid. Good luck.
Mike

Occationally, my 96 will flash the O/D light and go into limp mode. All I do is pull over, turn ignition off, restart, and everything is back to normal :dunno:

Not sure if codes are present, since I have never pulled them.

My 95 did it once, after a quick little muddy/rough off roading, and I just reset it, and its been fine ever since..

Fixed Mine Possible Solution For Yours

On The Side Of The Transmission By The Exhaust Under The Heat Sheild Are Your Servo Pistons.... I Figured It Was A Band Issue To Cause The Od Light To Flash Because My Transmission Shifted Fine... I Pulled The Servo Pistons Out And Noticed They Were Rock Hard Not Soft Rubber Like They Should Be... I Replaced Them And Put Everything Back Together And Now My Od Light Doesnt Flash I Got The Torque Specs For The Bands From Here Hope This Helps

It doesn't take but about 3 miles now before the O/D light comes back on. The code is stating that there is excessive slipping. One thing I have noticed though is that the delay from reverse to drive has gone now that it is in limp mode. I don't know why. Anyways, I am also looking at adding the Lucas Transfix or is it transtune? to the transmission to see if it helps. I drained and filled the transmission again since I changed the oil last and also changed the inline Magnafine transmission filter. I opened the filter and found very little to no fine metal particles on the magnet. So I guess I will wait to change it again in 12k or once a year as it recommends.
I would still like to know if anyone has any info on the TSB that I originally posted about. It was updated because Ford found that the tolerances were set to tight. Allowing for little wear before the fail safe was triggered. The updated ECU is supposed to have a wider wear tolerance before it is triggered. I figured that this ECU would help with the above problem. The problem I am having is understanding which part number to look for.

PCM APPLICATION
Old Calibration Old Part Number (-12A650-) New Calibration New Part Number (-12A650-)
5-58B-R10 F5TF-ARC 5-58B-R10 F5PF-BRA
5-58R-R10 F5TF-ATC 5-58R-R10 F5PF-BSA

See how it is laid out? From what I see, it is saying that the old calibration number is 12A650 and the new calibration part number is also 12A650. And it then lists two sets of numbers/letters below that. Which do I look for? Can anybody understand this better then me? If so then please translate for me. Thanks

Matt
Jacksonville, FL

Your direct clutch is slipping. It does not engage until you hit 3rd gear. You are probably losing fluid pressure at the valve body gasket; if not, the leak is in the seals in the direct clutch itself. which would require a take-out and disassembly.

Back