o/d light blinking on explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

o/d light blinking on explorer

jesus05

Reaction score
City, State
texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
now truck only runs on 2 and 1 and when i run from 1 to 2 and 0/d off works fine. appreciate help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum! Search for other threads about the blinking O/D light as many of us have seen it before. Use an OBDII scan tool to pull the codes on your truck. There may not be any, so take the truck to a transmission shop to have them take a look. The blinking light means something bad is going on in the transmission.:navajo:

od light blinking

hi, after reading many threads on this site as well as other explorer sites, i've decided to let the dealer install a rebuilt tranny into my '98 4x4 xlt(100k+ miles). it has been having the mysterious intermittent od blinking light problem for about 5 mos. they ruled out vss sensors and focusing in on the torque converter.it will cost $3200. ($2200 to troubleshoot and replace the torque converter, with no guarantees)..complete tranny change very steep, but comes with 10 year warranty. i didnt want to continue to shotgun the problem and figured to take my lumps all in one shot. i've read so many people with the same problem leave the shop only to have the light start to blink as soon as they drive off. difficult decision to make considering the value of the truck and gas prices these days......wish me luck.

Yeah man, dealer is the last place I would have went..

od light blinking

yes, pricey. when i bought the truck, my friend bought at exactly the same time, same place. his tranny went out in 3+ years. cost him over 4grand to replace.probably an oem tranny.(so 3200 is a little better).i've been told that my particular tranny was never "beefy" enough for the truck.(same one in the taurus?) i've been very diligent about servicing the tranny(overkill at 30,000 miles intervals). but didnt help.... i know taking cars to dealerships is very cost ineffective, but for this problem i wanted some assurance that it wasn't going to turn into a shotgun nightmare. i have a family mechanic in the business, but imagined having him do the replacement(at 2/3rds the cost, but no warranty) only to drive it off the lot and have the light start to blink...my truck is very well cared for and i my sons are ready to trash it for another 10 years , so i weighed the cost effectiveness of the situation. i didnt ask for the fault codes, but did question how they came to suspecting the torque converter. they assured me it wasnt anything as simple as a loose wire, sticking or worn solenoid/sensors. i should add that it was slipping a little between 2nd and 3rd...but not all the time..thanks for the feedback.

Qué pasó amigo? I have a 2WD V6 2002 explorer 120k w/ the same problem & nobody can give me the right answer (not yet). What about change trans oil?

O/D problems

Qué pasó amigo? I have a 2WD V6 2002 explorer 120k w/ the same problem & nobody can give me the right answer (not yet). What about change trans oil?

:salute:God bless you!

amigo, go to carcomplaints.com and search explorer/transmission/torque convertor and you may find your answer..good luck!

Back