o/d lockup not working when transmissions warm | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

o/d lockup not working when transmissions warm

nhawks

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer sport
i have a 97 sport with 4.0 ohv and 5r55e when i bought it it wouldnt lock up the torque convertor in 4th or 5th. i replaced the valve body gasket cleaned the valve body and tested the solenoids which all checked out. after that it still didnt want to engage tc lockup all the time. i replaced the overdrive drum speed sensor and output shaft speed sensor. and now it will engage lockup for about the first 10-15 minutes. so if ive been driving city for 10-15min at one point it will decide to not engage lockup after having to come out of lockup (hit the brakes, slow down or stop)and o/d off light starts flashing after driving with no lockup. same goes for highway as long as i stay in lockup its fine. but once its been driving for a while and i have to come out of lock up (speed up slow down hit the brakes etc) it wont go back to lockup and o/d off flashes after driving with no lockup. if i let it sit for a while and then clear the computer it starts the process over again. i have a code reader and its not pulling a code while the light is flashing. it does read transmission codes because ive puled some in the past.

at this point im completely stumped so any help or ideas/thoughts are appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You probably have to much internal leakage due to one or more worn seals or a cracked center support in the seal area. Which results in not enough pressure left to activate the tc reg valve.

I'm with Pop, something hydraulic possibly...get the codes pulled with a pro level scanner if you have the od off light flashing.

Post up the code.

drdoom is correct get the code if possible.

Back