O/D Off light Blinking, no DTCs

BustedKnuckles24

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer Ltd
Guys, I need some help.

My 2000 Explorer, Limited, with 4.0L SOHC and 5r55e transmission is misbehaving. On the way home last night, I noticed the transmission was not going into overdrive, and not locking up the torque converter. There were no lights on the dash at the time. When I got off the freeway, the O/D Off light began to blink on and off. I pulled over, shut off the truck for a few minutes, then restarted. The O/D Off light did not blink. I drove home with no issues. But, I did not exceed 45 mph, so I don't know if overdrive and torque converter lockup were still not working. Hooked up my CAN/ODB-II scanner, and got no codes.

Drove to work the next day, and turned O/D off. The light started blinking halfway to work. Had my code scanner with me, but, again, no codes. I shut down and restarted, then continued to work with O/D off and no issues. On the way home, ran normally, and, again, O/D off light begins to blink halfway home. Again, I pull over, shut it down, and restart it. Tried again to pull codes, and still nothing.

Am I going to have to wait until a DTC is set before I can diagnose this? I don't know if it is mechanical or electronic, but the transmission shifts smoothly, even with the O/D Off light blinking. I have no shutters, slippage, or hanging shifts. I'm at a total loss.:dunno:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your scanner may not be able to retrieve transmission codes on this particular vehicle. You may have to have it checked by someone who works on transmissions or get a better scanner. Auto Zone will check codes for free but a lot of the time they have problems with trans codes too.

If the OD light is flashing there is a code that is set, by your description of the problem and when the light starts to flash I would think that you are going to be dealing with a converter lock up problem.

my understanding of the blinking od light is the trans is overheating, has it been serviced oil level checked etc, is the cooling system working ok, the list goes on.

[MENTION=210410]JK080[/MENTION], I have two, a CAN-ODB-II code reader from Innova and a scan tool that gives me live readings from the engine sensors. However, they may not read trans codes. I'll have to see if I can find a decent shop to pull those.

[MENTION=225246]bandit11[/MENTION], I forgot to mention that I checked the fluid level. It is fine, and the fluid is nice and red. No leaks and no signs of overheating.

service the trans oil and filter and have the pressure checked

James is right, probably converter clutch related. Get it checked on a good scanner, my former boss read mine with a Snap-On SOLUS Pro, and sure enough that's what the problem was.

Back