O/D OFF light flashing intermittently | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

O/D OFF light flashing intermittently

Legion Prime

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Eddie Bauer
I bought a 99 Eddie Bauer SOHC with 151k on it, previous owners maintenance unknown. The trans code on the sticker is a D, I have checked around and what I can find here says I have a "4R44E/5R55E" or according to the trans code "A5LDE/5R44/55E". How do I tell which transmission I have? Nothing I've found anywhere online tells me which is which. I've been reading through the forums & it's not shedding any light.
Since I got it I have been feeling a small pulsation at each shift, not a lot but noticeable. I took it to AAMCO and they said that the pulsation was after the gear engagement & that a tuneup was the most probable solution. They showed me the fluid & it was clean, clear, smelled good, tasted normal & they recommended against a trans flush. Now a couple weeks later I am driving home after a day of city driving. I am on the state route off of the freeway & the O/D OFF light starts flashing & I am moving along at about 60mph @ 3k RPM, normally I am turning about 1500 RPM @ 55ish. No other apparent problems, besides the abnormally high RPMs. OD not engaging is the obviousanswer but I do not know if I am missing anything else going on. This morning I fired it up to go run a few errands with my boss & no problems whatsoever.
I want to nip this in the bud as I know transmissions don't just "fix themselves." I have had my truck in the shop a couple times within the past month & it has never thrown any code. I don't want to take it to the dealership as their trans diagnosis is $140 I don't have. I am not a bad mechanic myself, but I can't even find a way to figure out what transmission I have.
I'm guessing I should take it to the dealership tomorrow to check for codes. Automatic transmissions have always been black magic as far as I've been concerned, and the more I learn about them the more I want to get some old bones & a chicken to sacrifice. I don't like them & I don't like messing with them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have a 5R55E trans, If the OD light is flashing there is a code stored in the computer.

OK cool, thanks for the heads up on the trans. I need to know if there are internals I need to order. The light hasn't flashed since that one day on the highway, so I guess I'll be back once I get Ford to check for stored codes.

For $140 you can buy your own code reader.

issues sounds like OD is not working properly if you are at 3K and going 60mph. Sounds like it did not engage properly. Have you had any work done to the transmission at all? Any maintenance?

I have only had the truck a couple weeks. I took it to AAMCO about a week after I bought it because I could feel a slight pulsation with each shift. They said the fluid was clean and a touch overfilled, maybe a quart. They said it was no big deal.
Today I drove it again, tried taking it to the dealership but they want $140 to even look at it, say they won't just look up codes. What I noticed while driving now is the RPM's seem to be a little lower, about where they were before. Then they go right back up when the OD light starts blinking. Also there's a sharp impulse when it shifts out of first and also just before coming to a stop (the same shift point only the other way).
I had thought from what I gathered on here was that the generic code readers were of no help, that you needed an NGS or newer Ford diagnostic tester to read the codes properly. If I am mistaken I will run right out to Auto Zone & get them read. I have a code reader, it's just with all the moving I've been doing I can't find it.
Right now my best guess is to pull the valve body, clean & inspect it. Swap in a shift "improver" kit & R&R the 1-2 & OD solenoids & then throw it all back together & see where I'm at. This is what I'm guessing based on what I'm seeing, if I'm wrong on anything or if there's anything else I should look for lemme know.

A standard OBD2 code reader can't read manufacture specific DTC transmission codes. Some auto Zones have one that can but not all. I have an Innova 3150, it can read OBD2, ABS and manufacture specific DTC transmission codes. Cost around $150.00. there are others that can read trans codes also and some are cheaper.

Alright, thanks. That's good to know. I'll run over & check them out & see what they can give me. Thanks for the info. Hopefully I'll be back with something useful.

ETA: And nothing. Either their scanner can't read P1 codes or there weren't any stored. The guy didn't know if their scanner read P1's or not.

Alright just heard from the dealership. It's got torque converter lockup slipping codes and a band is 'about to go'. Their advice? drive it till it dies. Any advice?

Couldn't I just replace the torque converter & have the band adjusted?

You could replace the torque converter and possibly adjust the band but probably they want to do a full R&R on the transmission. Adjusting the band is just a band-aid in some cases and in this one, the dealer feels it would be better to let it go until it dies and get a rebuild. Balls in your court. You just need to be careful that you don't over-adjust the band to the point it snaps

Actually they don't want to rebuild it, they say a 3yr reman trans would be better, but at $3700 it's over twice what I paid for the vehicle. They actually advised me to drive it into the ground. I guess I'll see if I can sell the two Pirelli's I bought for it & start saving up for yet ANOTHER car. :rolleyes: This is freakin killin me.
I'll try asking what it would run to get the TC replaced & the band adjusted w/ a new filter. Maybe I can polish this turd just enough to make it wirthwhile.

Your looking at around about 1000 to 1500 to have someone do a R&R. This is a very common problem with these vehicles. People beat them up and don't take care of them and then they just go kaput. In this case you tried to be proactive with the vehicle and it still is going out on you. Unfortunately its a little to late.

Your looking at around about 1000 to 1500 to have someone do a R&R. This is a very common problem with these vehicles. People beat them up and don't take care of them and then they just go kaput. In this case you tried to be proactive with the vehicle and it still is going out on you. Unfortunately its a little to late.

Yeah, there are waay too many people out there in need of a good kick in the junk. :rolleyes:
Anyway, thanks for the advice, I just got the WO from the Dealership. It says P0741 TC not locking up 100%. TCC Solenoid Click test - Passed. I'm thinkin if I'm getting lockup some of the time & partial lockup part of the time & the solenoid is GTG It may be a fluid flow problem.
I'm thinkin if I drop the pan & throw in a shift "improver" kit taking the opportunity to clean out anything I can from the valve body & reass with a new filter & fluid along with an inline filter by way of the cooler (as detailed in this forum), and I may just get lucky to the tune of about $150ish. Is this a reasonable course of action with a pair of ramps & some ratchets/wrenches? (all my tools are in MI damnit!) I also want to thank everyone for their advice (I HATE automatics :fire: )

There also can be internal fluid leakage that prevents the TC from locking up. Had same problem last summer. I did everything that you mentioned, and more, including a rebuilt valve body from Central Valve Bodies and nothing made any difference. Didn't have time to rebuild, needed the X, to pull my RV trailer, so I got a used one, put it in and 6,000 miles later it still works great. Will rebuild the original as soon as I get time. Point is you might be lucky, but might be better off putting the money in a used one.
Read this thread--- http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318172

Yeah, there are waay too many people out there in need of a good kick in the junk. :rolleyes:
Anyway, thanks for the advice, I just got the WO from the Dealership. It says P0741 TC not locking up 100%. TCC Solenoid Click test - Passed. I'm thinkin if I'm getting lockup some of the time & partial lockup part of the time & the solenoid is GTG It may be a fluid flow problem.
I'm thinkin if I drop the pan & throw in a shift "improver" kit taking the opportunity to clean out anything I can from the valve body & reass with a new filter & fluid along with an inline filter by way of the cooler (as detailed in this forum), and I may just get lucky to the tune of about $150ish. Is this a reasonable course of action with a pair of ramps & some ratchets/wrenches? (all my tools are in MI damnit!) I also want to thank everyone for their advice (I HATE automatics :fire: )

I feel your pain with autos. My girlfriends transmission in her 2004 Jetta decided to dump itself all over the road coming home from work yesterday. So that is at the dealer right now (warranty FTW) but with hers there's no maintenance schedule because its a sealed transmission.........which I think is crazy but hey I'm not an engineer, just the guy that fixes the problems of the engineer......... Anywho, if you do a filter and fluid change you might hurt it you might help it. Honestly with this sort of thing its a 50-50 chance because these transmissions either work or don't lol. Hopefully everything works out for ya!

I had the same problem with my explorer when I bought it. When I droped the pan, filter, valve body, then board with the solinoids. Found the solinoid was cracked replaced it and solved the problem.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I think I may call a friend who has a shop & see what he can get me into a trans for. In the meantime I'll probably drop the VB to take a look & see if anything looks OBVIOUSLY wrong & see if a new filter (and probably an inline filter) will do anything. I'm stuck driving it for at least the summer, but as I get time to check it out I'll try to make sure I keep this updated. Thanks

Back