O2 Sensor and Catalytic Converter Problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

O2 Sensor and Catalytic Converter Problems

Woodsy11

Reaction score
City, State
Doha
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer
Hi guys I hope you can help me!

I have a Ford Explorer 2007. Recently we have the head gasket replaced (and multiple other items) however ever since this the engine warning light has been on and the car is not running as it did before and it would cut out when running, the fuel consumption has increased significantly, sometimes would not start etc,.

I took it to Ford and they did a computer test. They informed me that the following needs replacing: -

1. Exhaust Manifold
2. Muffler
3. O2 Sensors
4. Catalytic Convertor - They say this needs replacing because it has a hole through it.
5. Associated Wiring

Basically the whole exhaust system!!!

The total cost of this is 16,000 Qatari Riyals which is about $4,300. However they did say this may not resolve the issue which to me seems like they are just lumping all these items together which maybe unnecessary. Naturally I do not want to pay this if it is not needed.

Any help would be grateful.

Wow, that´s too bad man.

I suggest you do a compression test, since you replaced the head gasket I suspect the job wasn´t performed to specs or you have some other problems. You can also do a leak down test to confirm if there´s any leak and where.

About the exhaust, there are aftermarket alternatives but that involves you ordering to the United States. Do you have a company, maybe a freight forwarding company that can take things you purchase in the USA to your country?
Anyway try www.rockauto.com and I´m sure you can get quality aftermarket parts for a fraction of the cost. Check if the can send you to your country.

Good luck!

Hi guys I hope you can help me!

I have a Ford Explorer 2007. Recently we have the head gasket replaced (and multiple other items) however ever since this the engine warning light has been on and the car is not running as it did before and it would cut out when running, the fuel consumption has increased significantly, sometimes would not start etc,.

I took it to Ford and they did a computer test. They informed me that the following needs replacing: -

1. Exhaust Manifold
2. Muffler
3. O2 Sensors
4. Catalytic Convertor - They say this needs replacing because it has a hole through it.
5. Associated Wiring

Basically the whole exhaust system!!!

The total cost of this is 16,000 Qatari Riyals which is about $4,300. However they did say this may not resolve the issue which to me seems like they are just lumping all these items together which maybe unnecessary. Naturally I do not want to pay this if it is not needed.

Any help would be grateful.

Hi,

The problem is I don't think you get the same service from ford as you would in the US or UK etc,.

They did confirm that the codes from the counter test are:

P0420, P0430 and P2105

Does anyone know what they are or where I can find out what they mean?

It´s very easy, just google them.

Hi,

The problem is I don't think you get the same service from ford as you would in the US or UK etc,.

They did confirm that the codes from the counter test are:

P0420, P0430 and P2105

Does anyone know what they are or where I can find out what they mean?

Back