O2 sensor help | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

O2 sensor help

Deadtothecore

Reaction score
City, State
Nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 explorer xlt
Need an opinion on my 96 explorer. My bank 1 sensor 2 (post cat) is stripped and I've tried everything to get it off and I'm just done with it. My original idea was to have a new bung welded on but after looking at it there doesn't seem to be enough room. I just saw these no weld clamps they make and was wondering if I could place the clamp (new bung) further from the cat then the original? It would be a couple inches from the old sensor since there's a bracket where the 2 exhaust pipes clamp together. Does this o2 sensor need to be close to the cat? Or could I get away with moving it? Thanks for any advice

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
I wouldn't think moving it back another couple inches will make a big difference.

<

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
Hard to get these off, even with an o2 socket, sometimes. I'd give it a shot, would be worth the gamble to not replace the cat.

<

Deadtothecore

Reaction score
City, State
Nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 explorer xlt
Ty for your reply. I was able to find a little bit of info about moving it and what I gathered was if it was moved it could read too lean. I saw ppl talking about some kind of valves that could be messed with to compensate that but that's above my capabilities. Also the 02 sensor fires at a certain temp which could be why it could read lean?

<

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
Try an independent exhaust shop. I'd bet they can break it loose. Worst case is a new cat.

<

Deadtothecore

Reaction score
City, State
Nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 explorer xlt
I couldn't even get it to budge. Heat & pb blaster didn't do anything.

<

Deadtothecore

Reaction score
City, State
Nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 explorer xlt
Yeah that's what I think my best option is. To my surprising there's not many independents out there. I just hate paying for stuff that I should be able to do. Thanks for ur opinion

<

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
I hear you. Very rarely does a shop touch any of my vehicles. You could likely figure out a suitable cat yourself.

<