• Register Today It's free!

O2 sensor help

Deadtothecore

Reaction score
City, State
Nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 explorer xlt
Need an opinion on my 96 explorer. My bank 1 sensor 2 (post cat) is stripped and I've tried everything to get it off and I'm just done with it. My original idea was to have a new bung welded on but after looking at it there doesn't seem to be enough room. I just saw these no weld clamps they make and was wondering if I could place the clamp (new bung) further from the cat then the original? It would be a couple inches from the old sensor since there's a bracket where the 2 exhaust pipes clamp together. Does this o2 sensor need to be close to the cat? Or could I get away with moving it? Thanks for any advice

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't think moving it back another couple inches will make a big difference.

Hard to get these off, even with an o2 socket, sometimes. I'd give it a shot, would be worth the gamble to not replace the cat.

Ty for your reply. I was able to find a little bit of info about moving it and what I gathered was if it was moved it could read too lean. I saw ppl talking about some kind of valves that could be messed with to compensate that but that's above my capabilities. Also the 02 sensor fires at a certain temp which could be why it could read lean?

Try an independent exhaust shop. I'd bet they can break it loose. Worst case is a new cat.

I couldn't even get it to budge. Heat & pb blaster didn't do anything.

Yeah that's what I think my best option is. To my surprising there's not many independents out there. I just hate paying for stuff that I should be able to do. Thanks for ur opinion

I hear you. Very rarely does a shop touch any of my vehicles. You could likely figure out a suitable cat yourself.

Back