• Register Today It's free!

O2 sensor not registering

singularity

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
hey everyone, recently I've had the p0171 and p0174 error codes coming up on my '98 Explorer Sport 4.0L EFI. I have an OBD scanner software (ProScan 5) which tells me that banks 1 and 2 are running lean. It also states that Bank 1 is stuck in open loop. I'm guessing that there is no feedback from the 02 sensor that's causing the open loop. I checked my MAF but it's clean. I haven't checked my intake gaskets though. There's also a jerk as I accelerate from low revs (don't know if it's the automatic transmission’s characteristics as it doesn't happen every time) and quite a bit of CO and unburnt fuel fumes from the exhaust. All O2 sensors show 0 volts and on trying to access the O2 diagnostics in ProScan, it tells me that the sensor is not present or not supported. I want to try changing the O2 sensors and the intake gaskets but being short on money I'd like to be sure of what's wrong. Thanks in advance for your help.

thanks jt, I'll be checking the IAC and the MAF tomorrow. btw are the O2 sensors accessible in ProScan?

Back