O2 sensor Question 2003 sports trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

O2 sensor Question 2003 sports trac

samson2

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ford explorer
check engine light was on. had it checked out . it said P2195 ( O2 sensor signal stuck Lean Bank 1 Sensor 1) my question is can the sensor be unstuck or has it to be replaced? and where is it located.Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, the sensor cannot be "unstuck" as the sensor does not work that way. Typically when an error code related to the oxygen sensors is displayed, it means that the sensor element has either been corroded or contaminated to the extent that it no longer functions properly and must be replaced.

However, this code does not necessarily mean the 02 sensor is bad, but rather that the engine is running lean. Since you aren't getting P2196 with it (bank 2 lean), it still could be the 02 sensor, but there are things to check before you replace anything. First clean the MAF (with a cleaner designed for automotive electrical components), check for vacuum leaks, verify proper fuel pressure, and run some good injector cleaner (like the Techron additive sold in a bottle, not just the gas sold by Chevron). After that, try replacing the fuel filter, and if it comes down to it, replace the 02 sensor (I believe bank 1 is the driver's side, but I can't remember for certain right now). The 02 is located before the catalytic converter on the intermediate pipe between the cat and exhaust manifold (again, I may be wrong exactly where it's at, but it's in that vicinity). Oh, and avoid Bosch 02's, they suck. Best of luck :salute: .

Tom

I had the same issue and had all my O2 sensors replaced and 2 days later the CEL came back on for the same issue. Turns out it was a cracked elbow hose from the PVC to the intake.

More than likely the problem is upstrem of the O2 sensor(s).

Good luck in resolving your problem.

More than likely the problem is upstrem of the O2 sensor(s).

Good luck in resolving your problem.
A bad spark plug was making my ck light come on....

Back