Solved - o2 sensor question | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved o2 sensor question

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
By moving the sensor while it's not connected to the TB you are telling the ECM that you opened the throttle when you didn't.

It is possible you have a bad TPS and it may be giving bad values.. Or not smooth values. With it disconnected you can put your meter on it and measure the impedance. As you rotate the TPS it should smoothly change the impedance. I guess you could do it by measuring the voltage with it connected and the key in the on position (but truck off) and make sure the voltage changes smoothly with no big jumps.

I can't remember if the ECM had to re-learn last time I replaced a TPS or if it got a hold of the idle right away.. I haven't had to replace it often.. I think I'm only on the 3rd on in 400k miles and one I broke when I tried to make it adjustable.

~Mark

Well that did it. Thanks for everyone's help. I ended up getting a new tps. Didn't like it at first but then i remembered i messed with the screw, adjusted it and its awesome. I did have to let the computer relearn it. I just drove to get gas (high idle during this, was disappointed) and drove back up the hill like a maniac, got to the red light and... trust me, it was eery.. i thought it died on me but nope it was just running so smooth i thought it died on me :D so now im stoked. ****in right on finally

Woohoo!.. It's always a great relief when an issue you have been fighting gets solved.. You almost can't believe it happened...

~Mark

Back