O2 sensor wins round #1 what to do next | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

O2 sensor wins round #1 what to do next

rathrbcruisin

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer 5.0 AWD
So i spent most of the day trying to take out this bank 1 S 1 on my 98. Removed the center console and could not get on it with a wrench. so i got underneath and couldnt get it very good either. I even cut my wrench down a couple inches to get at it and still it would not budge. PB blaster, let it run for a minute and still would not budge. any other sensor i could get at but it has to be this one! :mad: I think my next step is to cut the wires and see if I can get a 22mm deep well socket on it. I think it will get on there from above. I've heard that the O2 sensor wrenches really cant get enough torque on them and flex open?? I'm just gonna get a regular deep well and get at it. anybody do this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently did the pass side front sensor on my wife's 99 Sport which has the 4.0 SOHC. I jacked up the truck & set it on a jack stand & removed the r/s front wheel, removed the splash shield, removed the screws from the rear half of the plastic inner fender liner & bent it forward. Then using this wrench http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-03048A-...d=1443995710&sr=1-2&keywords=o2+sensor+wrench I was able to remove the o2 sensor & install the new one. Getting at the plug connection takes some patience but you can get it. Hope that helps.

I should have stated this is on a 98 5.0 AWD. The only way to get anywhere near this sensor and plug is to remove the center console and take out the access panel. although cutting the wires off and using a regular socket should work for removing any old O2 sensor. I'd like to know if anyone has done that and how did it work for them.

Deleted

I have the 4.0 OHV so I dunno about the 5.0, but on my 4.0 it was way easier to remove the Y-pipe with the sensor still in it and then work to get the sensor out.

I had to pull my y pipe, use a 5 foot breaker bar with a pipe wrench. Tons of PB and heat too.

Back