• Register Today It's free!

O2 sensors

CRASHNDENT

Reaction score
City, State
NAWLINS LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 EXPLORER/78 BRONCO
Planning on modding my 99 sport to a trail only rig (Solid axle swap and the works). I've got a mig welder and i'm planning on modding the exhaust myself but don't know what to do with all the O2 sensors. I'll be running some after market headers. Should I just weld on some bungs' for the sensors and hope they don't kick a code without the cats or is there a way to loop wire them and be done with it? As always any info would be greatly appreciated.

Don

OBDII systems use the O2 sensors as a feedback loop to change the amount of fuel being delivered by the fuel injectors. The early Explorers only had one O2 sensor before the pre-cat and things were controlled by that single sensor. I think you would have a tough time getting the engine to run right without any O2 sensor signals. I'd try to get the bungs in roughly the same position as they were on the stock unit.

Be careful with some headers that have the bungs already installed in the pipe before the collector that causes it to read one cylinder only. If you are going to install a bung, I'd put it right in the collector.

Thanks

I did put the bungs back in somewhat the same position. All four of the sensors are back in and i'm not getting any codes. I'm definately not recommending that someone do this to their street rides (because of state emissions and the legalities) but if your going to make it an off-road rig this really woke my X up. Not a significant improvement on takeoff but after about a second into mashing the skinny pedal you really notice the difference. :D I like to mud a little and that's going to come in handy. Again, thanks for the responses.

Don

Back