• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

obd 1 or obd2?

rsw2008

My 95 EX EB
Reaction score
City, State
pine grove, ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt 95 ex eb
I have a 95 explorer eb . ithas the obd1 port under the hood near the master cyl and another one under the dash .is the one under the dash obd2 or what? my scanner wont read any thing. one person told me that 95 was a split year between obd1 and obd2 . can someone please confirm this for me.check engine light is on but not all the time. thanks for any info you may have

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
You have a 60 pin ecm, which is obd1. You have 2 wire engine sensors, which is obd1.
However... you have an obd2 trans, and transfer case, a generic electronic module (gem), and the 2nd gen fuel / emmisions. This is what we refer to as obd1.5. You maybe able to pull trans codes off the interior port, but with a trans code only reader.
Vss is obd1, and is read by the transfer case gear, not the rear abs tone ring sensor.
There are more functions used in obd2 setups, such as window control after ignition is turned off, and anti theft system.
All this mix, is why the 95 is called the bastard year.

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
'96 was the first year for mandatory ODBII in all automobiles. Many manufacturers started using wiring harnesses which included the ODBII diagnostic port during 1995, however it may not be connected to anything that would allow you to pull DTC's. This was the case with a '95 Pontiac I owed. Some late production '95's may have had working ODBII ports, but you probably still have ODBI.

SWIGIN

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
79 Bronco , 98 Explorer
My 94 Mustang GT is ODB1 but also has an unusable ODB2 port. Guess Ford was just getting the wiring harnesses ready.

zukman

"Home of Misfit Crawlers"
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
arcadia calif.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91EB, '86Sami, '85Ranger
Thats why I have both obdI and obdII scanners

D.R.Ball

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer
Get a OBDI code reader that has a digital display and get a OBDII adapter for the rest of the drive train(transmission and all of the other stuff) , yes it will work. The 1995 Explorer uses the EECIV engine computer and the OBDII for everything else ..