OBD I or OBD II how do I tell

jcasey007

Reaction score
City, State
Stratford Upon Avon, Warwickshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
Jeep Commander 5.7L HEMI
I'm in a quandry !

I have a 1997 4.0SOHC which according to all the information I read should support OBD II but when I connect (with a wide variety of Scanner software) I'm told by the software that I't is connected with OBD I.

Is there anyway to check on the what I should be connected with?

cheers

jim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

97 should definetly be OBDII. What kind of scan tool you using?

you should note that we are talking about a non-NA vehicle.... so I wouldn't jump on the OBDII connection too quickly. From what I have briefly read, obdii wasn't "mandated" elsewhere until 2000.

the scan tools I have tried are

SCANMASTER ELM (DEMO)
SCANMASTER LITE
DIGIMOTO VERSIONS 4 AND 5
CAR CODE OBD2
wOBD

the interface is serial ELM327 ver 1.0

As you can see I have tried quite a few scan tools, and to be honest it's amazing the different results that I get (ie they all agree on obd 1 but each give a different subset of sensors that are supported.

I've had a look under the bonnet to see if there is an emmisions label but no joy.

is the obd connector under the dash different for 1 and 2

cheers

jim

OBDII connector is located under the dash directly bellow the steering column. OBDI connectors are typically under the hood (bonnet) on the drivers side fender apron area near the master cylinder. However if your explorer is right hand drive it may be on the passenger side. It's typically a grey or black plug inside a grey or black hardshell cover that is labelled "OBDI"

different sensors support yes as these are "third party stuff" so that limits both what they get access to and what they want to "promote". However, for a given sensor, their readings should be the same.

ok so it looks like i am plugged into an obd2 socket (under the dash below the steering wheel. it is an oversized D socket)

has anybody else experienced this.

maybe the PCM going bad ?

all theories welcome!

regards

jim

Just a theory but looking at your profile, I wonder if it has anything to do with the LPG conversion, do you have any documentation with that conversion?

could be, It is an italian system (OHMV) which when running on Petrol is electrically isolated.

Most of the sensors are connected in parallal. I've also posted a similar question on a European LPG forum.

The initial responses I have is that no it should not interfere. The LPG controller has a similar diagnostics and config port to the OBD II. so I have ordered an interface lead and software, but this of course is only for the LPG system but It should give sensor inputs

BTW there is no OBD1 connector under the bonnet

I have a 96 explorer xlt 4.0 and i was just wondering if it has a OBDII port because a preformance module I was looking into said I needed to have that.

Back