OBD-II Scan Tool – What to look for when buying one? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

OBD-II Scan Tool – What to look for when buying one?

Are all OBD-II tools created equal? I know some OBD II scan tools are car or manufacturer specific, but are they all the same when we talk about retrieving codes?

I would like to buy an OBDII tool and have search different retailers and Internet stores but I am not sure of what to buy. There appear to be a wide range in price and I am concerned of how well/bad or useful some of the cheap or expensive models can be. Will a cheap model do what I want it to do? Or, should I invest in something other than the cheaper OBD2 tools? I do not have an auto shop and do not work on my vehicles all the time.

So, what should I look for when buying an OBD-II scan tool?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
Some scan tools which are cheap can't read a lot of codes. The better quality ones which are more expensive could read ABS & SRS codes. Some have a feature for cycling the ABS solenoid block to bleed the brakes. What are you looking for in one of these tools? At a minimum level, you should get one which is capable of reading manufacturer specific transmission codes.

1AJeremyD

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Mass
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT 4.0
As Brooklyn stated previously, not all scan tools are made the same. If you need it strictly for check engine codes and only the code then the cheapest will do fine but you will end up having to look up the code online and go from there. I've used some OBD scanners that allow you to find out where an issue is in the EVAP system but are definitely not meant for the average person primarily because of the price. Knowing what you need it for will be the best way to determine what scanner you would want to purchase

apollo607

Reaction score
City, State
Queretaro, Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '98 XLT 4WD
It realys on how much want to expend vs. at what level of usage are you going to apply (professional? at home only?). Mine was cheap (I guees) around $200, but it is enough for me, I have seen some professional obd up to $2500.

AeroRamer

Reaction score
City, State
Jax, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Limited
I am so used to about thinking of mostly simple 70’s and 80’s cars that I overlooked the possible need to check for SRS (airbags), ABS, and transmission codes.

Use will be strictly personal and with good luck minimal. Just want something to help me troubleshooting my cars when something does not feel right. Also, to check on used cars for when is that time again.

So…, is $200 considered cheap? I ask because I was looking at some OBDII’s that were in the $20-$40 range with a rebate (Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN OBD-II from Amazon). That is what promoted me to ask in the first place. I was thinking maybe $200-$500 for a good one. I guess my idea of expensive was way off.

Yes, I would like to get something that can do not only engine codes but also air bag codes and generic tranny codes. A driving cycle option and CANBUS ready will be nice too.

I also found an AutoTap Express item but I am not sure if it is an actual OBD II tool. It looks like it is designed to connect to a computer via USB for diagnostics.

Other sources I found include:

http://diydiagnostics.com/

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale/wholesale-can-bus-code-reader.html

YBCold

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 ×∟┬
some OBD scanners can bleed the ABS module on explorers i would get one of those. some people on the forum idk who though have them