OBD II Scanner for under $20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OBD II Scanner for under $20

jon_s_brady

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 XLT
Many of us on this forum have purchased OBD II Scanners or gone to AutoZone or O'Reilly's to get the codes read. This post is about a tool I've found that I now wouldn't be without.

A group of programmers enthusiastic about Fords have written an application called FORScan. You can find it at www.forscan.org. You can download a copy of FORScan onto your laptop and then purchase an ELM327 device to plug in to your car's OBD II connection. The ELM327 can be found on Amazon for about $10. They can connect to your laptop using WiFi, Bluetooth or good old USB cable. I have one of each and they're all pretty easy to use. If your computer doesn't have in-built Bluetooth you can buy a Bluetooth USB adapter to plug into the USB port on your laptop and away you go. I found a Bluetooth adapter for $3 (it came from China but it works). All up this tool cost me under $20.

But here's why I'm so pleased with it. I bought an OBD II scanner from Harbor Freight a few years ago to try and help diagnosing. It also let me reset the CEL when necessary. The trouble is that it only reads a portion of the total number of DTC codes. What'smore, it wont' read transmission codes. And it doesn't let you read realtime PIDs (Parameter IDs) from the engine. I started looking for a scanner that would let me have a better insight into all these codes and I found one at Walmart.com for more than $200. And they only get more expensive from that point. FORScan does everything these expensive scanners do!

So I encourage everyone to try it - it's only a $20 gamble at worst. Also I'd encourage you to support the programmers by providing your logs and such. They are also looking for beta testers to help develop this tool.

Have fun! :australia:us::salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Might be a dumb question but which version would you recommend downloading? Looks like quite a few choices.

Right now I'm using an app that works with my Samsung Gal.II phone. Sure would like to use the laptop instead, just because of the screen size.

I downloaded the 2.1.1 Beta version. It's got a few bugs but it's still pretty good. I'll likely upgrade to alter version as I see there have been a number recently. The 2.1.1 was the latest when I first downloaded it. In the long run...they're free downloads and if you're not happy with a later version just go backwards until you find something stable enough to suit you.

And I prefer to think that the only dumb question is the question not asked...

I use an app on my iPhone and iPad with one of those wifi adapters. Works pretty well for me.

Are these scanners only available online?

You'll need the ELM-327 adapter to plug in to your OBD II connector on your car. Just Google ELM327. All the cheap ones are from China. I've bought 4 total now since I gave one to each of my kids for their cars. Cheapest adapter is the USB but it means you're connected by cable to a laptop and rules out using an iPad. The Bluetooths are the next cheapest and I run one of them with my Android phone. It works fine. I tend to think though that the best option is the WiFi version even though it's the most expensive at around $20 since you can use it with software on your iPad or Laptop. The iPads have problems with the Bluetooth adapters.

The software is free - http://forscan.org/download.html

Checked on google but cant find them locally. Did you purchase yours online?

Yes, I did buy it online. Sorry for not being clearer.

No prob at all, thanks so much for your info. Ordering one now...take care!

Thanks for posting this. I've had a USB ELM327 for a few years now and the software it shipped with is rather clunky and annoying at times. Maybe this software will run a little smoother.

A shame there isn't an Android version.
I use the Torque app but I'd like to compare to another...maybe something a little more basic.

I wish i could find it in a local store...need it NOW so i can get the codes. Until then, im diagnosing from a-z...elec, fuel, air.

Good to see others getting the word out, I use this program all the time. On ford FORscan is my go to program with an ELM127. For other makes I use ScanXL but this is not free.

One big advantage is that the ELM is wireless. Another is that the FORscan software will show graphs not just data values (invaluable for diagnosis).

ALSO FORscan has the ability to run all of the self tests for the vehicle which is something that generally requires an expensive dealership style scan-tool. When my mustang wasn't starting it took much of the diagnosis out of it by self-testing the antitheft system.

Cheap and VERY effective! I would also recommend

Thanks for the info. If anyone finds them in a retail store, please share. Shipping takes too long.

get the obd link bluetooth version from amazon, its pricey around 50-60 dollars i believe but incredibly worth it, specially when paired with forscan, without a doubt it is the cheapest and in my opinion the BEST option for a scanner. dont forget that forscan does all of the modules, OBD, ABS, 4X4, etc.. the cheaper knockoff adapters do not work though, did the same thing, but the obd link is exceptional, no power drain from being left plugged in and connects the first time all the time

Thank you! Ive done all i can & still not starting. When key is in on position, my check engine light stays on. Should it? My timing might be off. All i can think of. Suggestions anyone?

Some of those "Supports all OBD2 Protocols" Bluetooth dongles don't work with OBD2 at all, they only work with CAN on 2005 and up and some 2004 models with CAN.

I bought one and it doesn't work on either of my 1998 Mountaineers or my 1997 Taurus. Nor did it work on the 2004 Dodge Dakota I just sold or the 2002 Sport Trac that replaced it.

Plug it in and first the green LED lights and goes out, then the yellow, followed by the red one on and staying on. It pairs with my phone but no working protocol.

Got my money back and still have the dongle. Tried to give it away. No takers!

drebo, have you checked the fuel pressure or the voltage at the starter? maybe a bad pump fuse? any other symptoms?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Drebo, can you tell us what you've done to get where you are? Was this an engine rebuild? This might help in troubleshooting...

Back