OBD-II? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OBD-II?

d_esmond

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 MMH
Hi all,

I hope someone may be able to shed some light on this. I have a 95XLT 2WD manufactured 4/95. On a long car trip recently, the MIL came on. I know that's a fairly common issue, and wanted to find out the specific code(s) being thrown. I was excited to learn that because I have a 95, I have the EEC-IV (OBD-I) computer, but after paying $30 for the Actron scanner and looking up the procedure in my Haynes manual, I'm not so sure. The Haynes manual is great but as you might expect from a book covering eight model years, some of the pictures aren't applicable. I can't find the EEC-IV hookup connector. Now it is entirely possible that I just missed it, but Haynes says it should be "behind the fuse box on the passenger side inner fenderwell". Well if I'm not mistaken the fusebox in my car is now in the passenger compartment on the side of the dash. I looked around in the fenderwell and didn't see anything obvious (certainly nothing labeled "EEC Test" as in the Haynes photo). Then I flipped a few pages in the manual and saw the picture for the OBD-II system, which showed a 16-pin connector right above the brake pedal in the dash. I have that connector, although my pin configuration is different (I think). On my connector, only pins 4,5,7, and 16 have metal contacts. In the Haynes picture, pins 2,4,5,7,10,13, and 16 look like they have contacts. I did some searching around here and found a couple of references to "some 1995's" having OBD-II, but how do I know for sure (aside from taking it to a dealer)? Surely there must be some big-time DIY'ers on here who are familiar with 95's. I know all 96 and later models are OBD-II and supposedly 95 and prior have OBD-I, but why would I have the OBD-II connector? However, why do I have a different pin config. from the picture in the Haynes manual? I guess I am just afraid to shell out $150 + for an OBD-II reader to find out that my truck is OBD-I after all.

I hope someone can provide some insight here. I'm at wit's end, but taking it to a dealer just seems like a cop-out.

Thanks in advance,

Dan Esmond

[This message has been edited by d_esmond (edited 01-30-2000).]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dan,

Since I went to school in Manhattan I'm sure I'm allowed to you this, but here goes. You shouldn't have OBD-II. The connector under your steering column has pins that are used for the airbags, which were new in 95. Your connector is on the DRIVERS side right behind the battery and in front of the relay/fuse box. The connector isn't totally obvious because it will be pointed down. Just look for the wires between the battery and relay box and the pull the connector up. Ford didn't go to OBD-II until the 96 model year(all 96's build in 95 have OBD-II though). If you don't believe me check out http://obdii.com or http://autotap.com.

I'll spare you of that rock chock chicken hawk chant.

Good Luck!

Drew Payne

Dan,
I had a 95 and it's right where Drew said it is. I has a cover on it, if I remember correctly. It's on the side closest to the front of the truck of the relay/fuse box, which is on the drivers side of the engine compartment. on the top of this cover it says EEC-IV, or something like that.

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

Drew and Ray,

Thank-you both for your responses. I'm glad to have that cleared up, and I'm especially glad the scan tool will only be $30 and not $150.

I should have time this weekend to run all the tests. Is it necessary to do the timing test and Key On Engine Running tests? Just curious.

-dan

Dan,
It's been over a year since I traded in my 95, but I think if you just want to read the error codes, you can do that first. As far as the tests, I think you have to go in sequence or you will get all messed up. If you read the manual that came with the unit, it explains a little better than the Haynes manual. Hope this helps. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

Back